True bypass whammy

Started by beebs, July 08, 2010, 01:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

Trey using a whammy in the style of morello. Just because we're talkin about whammys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVxSnOlow0

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

beebs

Per your advice, I've ordered a used RP3 for $50. I think that delay function is going to set it over the top. Thanks man.
Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

sour d

Quote from: beebs on July 14, 2010, 11:20:08 AM
Per your advice, I've ordered a used RP3 for $50. I think that delay function is going to set it over the top. Thanks man.
One of the factory presets has the delay being controlled by the treadle. You can play a few notes and then rock the treadle full forward and it will loop it then you can play over it. If you don't get the manual then digitech has it online.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

beebs

Update on the RP3. This thing is awesome for me. Its got its share of problems in terms of volume drop and tone sucking, but I couldn't really ask for anything more for $50. I like the fact that there is a wet/dry mix on all of the effects. I've got a nice funk thing going with the whammy set to -1 oct and 30% wet mix. It's really close to GBOTT with a tube screamer, my amps vibratone, and the tone rolled of the bridge pickup. Plus its big and ugly.

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

Quote from: beebs on July 21, 2010, 08:59:03 PM
Its got its share of problems in terms of volume drop

There is a level knob. There shouldn't be any volume drop. I can't remember exactly but there was like a level and presence or something. The round knobs. You and walker were talking about tremelo's, hows the trem on the rp3? And yes big, yellow, and ugly (but not big if that's all you use when you gig).

beebs

When the RP3 is on, I lose a little bit of volume despite maxing all of the volumes (there are 2 or 3 in the settings depending on what effects are on). The output knob affects the output of both the bypassed signal and the wet signal. I haven't really noticed the tone sucking so much when it's off, but to be honest, I have been playing with it so much that I haven't done any a/bing to see if I can notice a difference when it's out of the chain. Eventually I'll get a bypass pedal for it and keep the output set to match my bypass output and leave it on.

The tremolo is pretty basic. I don't think it would please most people here. I set it up so I could control the rate with the expression pedal. It is pretty neat, but the quickest tremolo setting is way too fast for my liking, so you really have to baby the pedal in the upper end of the range. It also seems to have a rounded tremolo wave, so it's kind of a smoothed on/off effect, not the sharp on/off you get with a squared wave.

I really like the phaser on this thing the best. It really hit the spot while I was jamming tonight. I was getting some really interesting deep ocean smooth type tones with the bridge p/u's tone rolled all the way off, a wah opened all the way up, ts, comp, and some delay. Just a very slight, slow phase was all I needed, but I have made presets to be able to control the rate and depth with the pedal.

I am getting some really incredible, interesting effects that I can color my jams with to emphasize what I'm trying to do. It's pretty amazing how having multiple effects available can exponentially increase the different sounds you're going for. I can't imagine having a full set-up. That would be awesome.

sour d

I felt the same way when I first came across the rp3. There is a lot of shit going on in those big yellow ugly fuckers. I think you can figure out the level problems by tweaking and saving your own user settings. It's almost like drinking pabst blue ribbon. Sure it's cheap and not as tasty as the microbrew, but eventually it gets you to the same place. Sometimes it's ok to slum it.

strangedesign

after reading everything about the rp3, i might go see if i can find my old rp7 just for the trem, phaser, whammy  and/or maybe the delay. i'm assuming the rp7 has everything the rp3 has and then some. I used it for a little bit about 10 years ago then packed it up and i haven't seen it since. hopefully digitech has a manual online for it, cause i don't remember anything about it
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

sour d

Quote from: strangedesign on July 29, 2010, 07:35:34 PM
after reading everything about the rp3, i might go see if i can find my old rp7 just for the trem, phaser, whammy  and/or maybe the delay. i'm assuming the rp7 has everything the rp3 has and then some. I used it for a little bit about 10 years ago then packed it up and i haven't seen it since. hopefully digitech has a manual online for it, cause i don't remember anything about it
If I'm thinking of the right one (big blue one) it has all the same stuff. Here's a link to the manual  ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Discontinued/Manuals/RP7.pdf

strangedesign

All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

beebs

It looks like you can edit the range of the expression pedal which would be nice for the trem.