Science of Acoustics, Sound, Vibration: Considered in guitar designing (Chladni)

Started by Happyorange27, December 03, 2010, 10:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Since I'm an engineer, someday I want to assist in designing my own guitar.  I want to optimize the acoustical properties.  Many things are to be considered.  Lately I have been looking into the geometry of the body and especially the supporting members and the sound holes.  If you want to see something super amazing, check out Chladni patterns and how they are formed and used to show how the guitar surface is vibrating and resonating at various frequencies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0t4qIVWF4

Feel free to google this more and see how sweet it is.  I think it is beautiful and captivating.

Also, the hole sizes on the guitar (f holes as well) dictate the resonance frequency of the body (Helmholtz resonator).  I wonder how many guitar makers are actually incorporating this science into their designs??  AO (or anyone) do you have any input on this?

I feel that when I finally put all my blood, sweat and tears into my dream guitar, the science should not be overlooked. 

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone