Knob adhesive?

Started by fulltone1989, July 29, 2013, 03:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey all, got a new axe and when I pull up on the knob to engage the coil tap I end up just takin gthe knob off. Very annoying. Is there any light adhesive I can stick on the top of the pot shaft or something to wrap around so it's snug enough?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

sour d

If there is a split in the shaft you can open it up a bit. Or there should be a set screw on the knob.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on July 29, 2013, 04:22:17 PM
If there is a split in the shaft you can open it up a bit. Or there should be a set screw on the knob.

There is a split in the shaft. Just run a screwdriver down the middle a little bit?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Heady Jam Fan

Awesome title.

A screwdriver might do the trick for that.
Some knobs have metal insight that can be tightened.
Some knobs have a small screw that can be tightened.

If that doesn't work, I'd rather spend a couple bucks on knobs that will fit, than spend the same amount on adhesive that will make future adjustments difficult (ie, removing the pot).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Hey now!!  I actually had the same thing happen to me and I came up with a pretty decent temp solution to hold me over awhile. I just remolded the shaft with mighty putty.. You can find it in the as seen on TV sections in certain stores. Worked like a charm!

You'll not see nothing like the Mighty (Quinn) Putty  ;D

sour d

Quote from: fulltone1989 on July 29, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: sour d on July 29, 2013, 04:22:17 PM

There is a split in the shaft. Just run a screwdriver down the middle a little bit?

Yup. you just want to spread it a little. Too much and the knob won't fit back on. Get knobs that have a set screw if that doesn't work for you.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Haha thanks everybody. I will look into some other knob options with screws or try the split option.