Trey's settings on Mesa Boogie MK III

Started by IamWILSON, December 09, 2011, 04:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamWILSON

So pretty recently I thought I saw a thread on here where people were looking at pix of Trey's Boogie and figuring out knob settings and which knobs were in the "pulled out" setting.  And I just bought a Mesa Boogie MK III combo from '89 this week and got it all dialed in to what I think is some pretty amazing tone, but I want to compare and see if: a) anything I can tweak can make me like my tone even more, and/or b) see if dialing and adjusting around Trey's settings will make my tone any more Trey-ish for when covering Phish songs. 

Any tips from Boogie owners/users on settings, or finding this other thread are much appreciated.  And for what it's worth, this amp blows away any other amp I've ever played on in my life!  And I really like the reverb too!  It really makes me wanna sell my Egnater and Blues Jr, but I don't think I can part with them just yet, as I'll still wanna run some sort of stereo set up, and it doesn't hurt to have a backup amp.  Plus the weight of this thing really prevents me from using it as a grab and go type amp like the Blues Jr. is!   
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Walker done done

Quote from: IamWILSON on December 09, 2011, 04:29:18 PM
Plus the weight of this thing really prevents me from using it as a grab and go type amp like the Blues Jr. is!   

Statement of the decade.

These things are made of anti-matter.  No joke.  When I get around to it I'll post my settings on here as I've recently (finally) dialed mine in to a tone I like.

What tubes do you have in there?  Does it still have the stock Black Shadow speaker?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

IamWILSON

Its the blue stripe, simulclass w/ GEQ and reverb and has all mesa tubes; 2xEL34s and 2x6L6s (they bubble out, never seen tubes like this before), and EVM12L speaker.  Guy I bought it from was the 2nd owner and he said everything was stock, if I remember correctly?  The thing is in near mint condition!  And it came with the cover, rhythm/lead and rhythm1/2 pedals.  The dude was really cool.  Old Deadhead type guy who does amp and guitar repair and mods, but hurt his back badly, hence why he's selling.  And the price was too good to be true! 

I've only been playing it out of the combo, and really can't wait to hear how it sounds with my 2x12 mesa cabinet.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).