Trey's 93-96 Ts9s?

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, February 16, 2011, 10:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

What Ts9s was he using during these years and what chips were in them?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

Early 80's ts9's or a ts9 and a ts10. Most of those came with the jrc4558d chip.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

YouEnjoyMyReba

He did play a Ts10?  Anybody every played one of these?  What did you think?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

I own a couple and they sound really good but are not as rugged as a ts9. My opinion doesn't mean much but srv used one. Trey used one. Mike had one in his rig. Even everybody's favorite shredder john mayer uses one. They all have the jrc4558d chip and the ones that were made in taiwan sound identical to the ones made in japan. They sell for around $150 on ebay. Great for clean boost with low drive settings.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: sour d on February 17, 2011, 11:41:49 AM
I own a couple and they sound really good but are not as rugged as a ts9. My opinion doesn't mean much but srv used one. Trey used one. Mike had one in his rig. Even everybody's favorite shredder john mayer uses one. They all have the jrc4558d chip and the ones that were made in taiwan sound identical to the ones made in japan. They sell for around $150 on ebay. Great for clean boost with low drive settings.

your referring to the ts10 right?

sour d

sour d

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 18, 2011, 11:39:14 PM
Read this:

http://strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=1024.msg3517#msg3517
Some of the stuff in that post is just not right. For starters gabe talks about the "japanese" version of the ts9 being key in getting that "authentic tone". All ibanez ts9's were made in japan. Also I don't think there is any evidence that his ts9's were modded to ts808 specs. I think if trey wanted the ts808 sound he would have been using original ts808 tube screamers. I don't think he was using analogman modded pedals until 2002. Analogman didn't start modding tube screamers until 1995. And we've all seen the bradshaw rig with the ts10 in it.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: sour d on February 19, 2011, 06:59:01 PM
Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 18, 2011, 11:39:14 PM
Read this:

http://strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=1024.msg3517#msg3517
Some of the stuff in that post is just not right. For starters gabe talks about the "japanese" version of the ts9 being key in getting that "authentic tone". All ibanez ts9's were made in japan. Also I don't think there is any evidence that his ts9's were modded to ts808 specs. I think if trey wanted the ts808 sound he would have been using original ts808 tube screamers. I don't think he was using analogman modded pedals until 2002. Analogman didn't start modding tube screamers until 1995. And we've all seen the bradshaw rig with the ts10 in it.

No, not all ibanez ts9s were made in Japan.  Starting in the early ninties, ts9s and ts10s were made in Taiwan (now, however, the reissues are once again manufactured in Japan).  Also, people had been modding ts9s long before Analog Mike started selling his modded versions.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Yea I've read that post before as well but was never really sure how much merit was behind anything he said.  Some of that stuff just didnt seem right to me.  He didnt post any links to back his information up and after doing tons and tons of searching I never came across anything that even slightly supported those ideas.  Thanks for posting it though, it is a really useful thread.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on February 20, 2011, 10:33:40 AM
Yea I've read that post before as well but was never really sure how much merit was behind anything he said.  Some of that stuff just didnt seem right to me.  He didnt post any links to back his information up and after doing tons and tons of searching I never came across anything that even slightly supported those ideas.  Thanks for posting it though, it is a really useful thread.

What exactly doesn't seem right to you? 

The evidence for the Japanese thing is readily available on the Ibanez wikipedia -- in the late eighties Ibanez began making their stuff in countries other than Japan.  If you google ts9 or ts10, Japan, China, and/or Taiwan, the point will become even more obvious.  There is also tons of discussion available on the point of the JRC chip (made in Japan) and the other types of chips used once the manufacturing operations moved out of Japan.

sour d

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 20, 2011, 09:00:25 AM

No, not all ibanez ts9s were made in Japan.  Starting in the early ninties, ts9s and ts10s were made in Taiwan (now, however, the reissues are once again manufactured in Japan).  Also, people had been modding ts9s long before Analog Mike started selling his modded versions.
All ibanez ts9 tube screamers were manufactured in japan and still are. Ts10's ts7's and ts5's were made in different countries. To further support my claim I will pay you $300 for any ibanez ts9 pedal that was made in taiwan or china. Here is a good place to start your research http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm . Any links to info on trey using modded tube screamers before analogman would be helpful. I know he had no problem talking about his pedals being modded after analogman so he must have mentioned it before. I did the "ibanez ts9 taiwan" google search and found no info on ts9's being made in taiwan. Ts5's and ts10's yes.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 20, 2011, 11:19:37 AM
Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on February 20, 2011, 10:33:40 AM

What exactly doesn't seem right to you? 

The evidence for the Japanese thing is readily available on the Ibanez wikipedia -- in the late eighties Ibanez began making their stuff in countries other than Japan.  If you google ts9 or ts10, Japan, China, and/or Taiwan, the point will become even more obvious.  There is also tons of discussion available on the point of the JRC chip (made in Japan) and the other types of chips used once the manufacturing operations moved out of Japan.

Well the first thing that I wasn't so sure about was the part that said Trey used two Ts9s, when you can clearly see in one of the Bluegrass Sessions videos on youtube that one of his tubescreamers is definetly not a Ts9.  Secondly, the part where he stated that Trey's Ts9s were 808 modded.  That just didnt make much sense to me.  Why buy a Ts9 just to have it sound like and 808?  Why not just buy an 808?

The second part of what I assumed was wrong could in fact be legit,  I dont know, just didnt make much sense to me.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: sour d on February 20, 2011, 12:26:30 PM
All ibanez ts9 tube screamers were manufactured in japan and still are. Ts10's ts7's and ts5's were made in different countries. To further support my claim I will pay you $300 for any ibanez ts9 pedal that was made in taiwan or china. Here is a good place to start your research http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm . Any links to info on trey using modded tube screamers before analogman would be helpful. I know he had no problem talking about his pedals being modded after analogman so he must have mentioned it before. I did the "ibanez ts9 taiwan" google search and found no info on ts9's being made in taiwan. Ts5's and ts10's yes.

OK, you got me there.  But upon further inspection, i think what Gabe means is that the "Japanese" pedal has the made-in-Japan JRC chip whereas Ibanez used different chips made in different counties, starting in the nineties.  The new(er) reissues do use the original chip.

I do think Trey was using modded tube screamers before Analogman.  I don't think he used ts808s because before ebay they were incredibly hard to come by and it would have been so much easier for his techs to simply modify the slew of ts9s he already had.  I also know that he didn't use the ts10 for very long.  you can see photos of the two ts9s in live shots from 97-2000.  i would link these photos but i had them on an old hard drive that broke last year.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: cactuskeeb on February 21, 2011, 06:35:15 AM

I also know that he didn't use the ts10 for very long.  you can see photos of the two ts9s in live shots from 97-2000.  i would link these photos but i had them on an old hard drive that broke last year.

Yea I can definetly hear a significant change in Trey's tone from '96 to the '97 sound, especially towards the end of the year.  I was listening to livephish vol. 12 8/?/96 and some clifford ball and I really love how Trey sounds, particularly how he does that thing with the feedback to get a low note to seem like its melting into a higher pitch.  And then I listened to some of the new years run from '97 and some early '98 (island tour) and Trey's tone sounded a lot different to my ears.  I guess thicker would be how I would describe it.  While it still sounded amazing and really worked a lot better with that thick funk, I enjoyed the 94-96 tone a little more.