Main Menu

EQ vs Tone

Started by Brian27, January 14, 2012, 10:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Sorry but any fender with a mid control is really just a volume control at the tone stack location. The only way to get a true mid control is to do a Baxandall mod or use an eq pedal. So I wouldn't  let that knob enter your shopping equation.  I've been researching this for a year. Still considering modding my amp this way.
http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/baxandall.html
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

"A silverface Twin would have 3 band EQ on both Channels right? Im not looking for a Amp with no mid EQ on both channels"

I'm still wondering why you want an amp with 2 channels if you are gonna use a boss sd-1 and a signa drive as your distortion?  You can find a used Blues Jr on craigslist for as low as $300 (hell I was tempted to pick up an older usa made one for $280 a couple weeks ago when I saw the ad).  I don't even know if there is an affordably priced amp out there that will make you decide you don't need any of the overdrive pedals.  

"A quick search shows that you can get a MkIII for like $900, that's $200 more for a killer amp that blows away the HRs."

I was really patient in my search for one of these.  At one point in May I almost got an Mk III head(purple strip/simulclass, reverb, eq,) from a guy in Oakland for $850 w/ shipping included and decided to hold off.  In December I just bought a like new condition MK III blue stripe combo with all the bells and whistles for $700 off of CL.  The guy selling it was an older hippy/musician who works at a music store and repairs gear, and was selling it for this price because he had a bad back and needed surgery and wasn't gonna lug it around any more.  I had been wanting one of these for 2 years!  Actively searching fairly regularly for the last year, and finally came across it!

So here's my advice.  KNOW WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO GET, and WHY you want it.  Make sure it can do all or most of the things you want it to do (kinda like Poster's list above, that is some great advice), and then BE PATIENT!!!! I can't express that enough.  I've been very patient about most the gear I get and even got an '81 ts808 for $300!  (I see them go for at least $500 whenever I follow some auctions.)  It was beat to shit and abused throughout the years, but bought it on Ebay from another touring musician who had to bond the broken case back together.  Nobody else wanted to bid on it.  I took a chance, and ended up with the best overdrive pedal I can ever imagine wanting, except when my GAS tells me I should spend more money for something different.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Brian27

What is the difference between a Twin and an Evil Twin?

picture_of_nectar

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 22, 2012, 10:57:09 AM
And that's why I like your posts. You actually have experience to back it up. Nice. I love my amp but by the time you spend all the mod money, I could have just bought a vintage fender.

I saved up and bought a Blackface '65  Princeton Reverb. The tone is just heavenly. Bought a replacement cabinet (beefier) to house a 12" speaker and it's all I need for gigs. Our drummer got really excited last night and was beating the shit out of his kit and the little 12 watt Princeton w/1x12" could hang.

On a side note I just bought a Carol Ann OD2r that I am really excited about.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone