So I'm getting a new guitar

Started by Walker done done, April 05, 2007, 10:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm jealous of the rest of your rig (ESPECIALLY THE HT SPEAKER CAB!), so there!  We gotta figure out a way to put 'em both together and jam out.

But as for the guitar, I love the finish they put on there - these guys are well known for their \"secret\" finish - it comes out looking incredible.  I tried to get some inside info on how they come up with it, but didn't get too too far.  Family secret, I guess.  They did a really nice job on the binding, too.  And I'll tell you what.....well, I won't be able to confirm this until I actually have it, but.......in terms of matching the guitar to Languedoc's, it sure looks like they've got it spot on, and for the price, I'd say it's WELL worth the investment.  The stain is a little darker, but that's how I wanted it.  As for the shape & details, it looks like it's a dead ringer.  I love the look of the Koa after this stain, too....it really makes the grain stand out well.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

Quote from: \"shakedown_04092\"Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm jealous of the rest of your rig, so there!  We gotta figure out a way to put 'em both together and jam out.

But as for the guitar, I love the finish they put on there - these guys are well known for their \"secret\" finish - it comes out looking incredible.  I tried to get some inside info on how they come up with it, but didn't get too too far.  Family secret, I guess.  They did a really nice job on the binding, too.  And I'll tell you what.....well, I won't be able to confirm this until I actually have it, but.......in terms of matching the guitar to Languedoc's, it sure looks like they've got it spot on, and for the price, I'd say it's WELL worth the investment.  The stain is a little darker, but that's how I wanted it.  As for the shape & details, it looks like it's a dead ringer.  I love the look of the Koa after this stain, too....it really makes the grain stand out well.

It looks great! Are you installing the same hardware and electronics Paul puts in his?

Standard Electronics:
Pickups: Seymour Duncan '59 PAF humbuckers
Controls: Master volume, master tone, three-position selector, double/single coil switch, and series/parallel switch. This wiring scheme provides a great variety of tonal options in an easy to use set up.

Standard Hardware:
Tuners: Schaller M6 mini, chrome plated
Bridge: Fixed intonation (Ebony with brass saddles) or Tune-a-Matic, your preference
Tailpiece: Ebony with polished stainless steel hardware, manufactured in my shop
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

Wow, jealous, question for you, is that going to come with a pick up configuration, or do you have to go out and find some schaller golden 50's? also are they going to put the wishbone bridge on it?
Either way looks sick man, fly out to jersey and plug it in my rig, would love to here that shit.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Stiles12

oh my bad strangedesign didnt read your post was to anxious to find out i guess. haha any way fly your ass out here and lets get jammin
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

I went w/ Schaller Golden 50's for the pups, although toyed w/ the SD59's.  Can always switch 'em out after if need be, though I think the Schaller's will be perfect for it.  The bridge is tune-o-matic, as Paul is putting on his current \"for sale\" guitars (I didn't realize he was offering the fixed).  Also will have the Ebony tailpiece that is one of the guitars signatures.

As for all the other stuff, it's dead on, with one upgrade - I actually mentioned to Paul when considering the purchase of one of his, though he said at the time he couldn't do it, but would look into it: an FX loop bypass jack with on/off switch and a Unity Gain Buffer, as Irwin & Cripe had made for Jerry on his guitars.  Allows me to bypass the FX chain altogether with the flick of a switch, as well as use my volume/tone knobs more properly & precisely, which'll be nice.  Which is also why I ordered that Y-junction box from Glenn @ HT, along w/ a BB speaker cable (man those are pricey, but hopefully worth it) and an instrument cable (THANKS Scott, btw, for the heads up on those!)

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Here's a basic idea of what it'll look like finished, sans the UGB & FX bypass switch.  Also this one doesn't have the plate cover on the back which I asked to have to prevent future \"pain in the ass\" access to the electronics, should I ever need to access them:

Loop 3 Boomerang+

strangedesign

Sweet! I think I know what I'm gonna start saving for. I really like the idea of bypassing the fx loop with the switch!
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Erictw83

Dude, that's gonna be such a sick guitar! Congrats man

Poster

I actually recorded with this dude who had one of those Abyss languedoc copies and it blew. it sounded heavy metal even with the classic PAF buckers in it and just didnt measure up well to any of my guitars. he paid like 8 grand for it and i swear it was so fucking roudy queer I couldnt help but break his balls. i bet this guitar will be cool but its not going to soudn like one of pauls guitars. ive actually had the pleasue of playing one of those 10k languedocs up in burlington and let me tell you something, no replica will come close! my favorite was the custom switches that were SILENT! so tiny and smooth to switch it was bizarro.

Poster

what kinda 1/4 inch input do you have ? i need to order one for my custom ;0)

Walker done done

FINALLY got some updated pics of my guitar.  Still waiting on the pups, should be here next week latest.  I guess they were mailed from West Germany and the company said it can take up to 4 weeks from the date of order due to customs or something.  Who knows...

Anyways, the first 2 pics are mine (damn, she sure is purdy :mrgreen: ), the next 2 are from a Wolf replica they're making for someone, and the last one is of a hollowbody Lightning Bolt (REAL LIGHTNING!!! :lol: ) replica they're making.  Cool looking guitars, thought I'd post 'em for ya to look at:

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

dude your guitar is fucking beautiful man! that wolf body looks pretty cool too, maybe after we make millions selling an amazing record, ill get a wolf replica from your luthier for shits and giggles. that lightning looks so heavy though, I dont think Id stand around playing that heavy thing at a gig all night unless i was tweaking on some magic jerry fungus  :lol:

Walker done done

Thanks man, I agree - they got it pretty spot on from the looks of her, eh?  Paid for it yesterday so it's almost a done deal - pups should be here next week, and after they arrive, it's a day of installing them & out the door she goes.  Still haven't decided on a logo or whatever for the headstock, may just leave it blank altogether.  I bet that Bolt isn't all that heavy since it's a hollowbody, but the real Bolt replica they make I'm sure weighs at least...uh....6 pounds......7 pounds......8 pounds.....

No, j/k....it's up around 11-12.  It's a beast, but if I ever get the opportunity, that's the next one I'm getting, and after that, it's the Wolf.  Probably will never happen though.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

maybe theyll send you all three to make up for not keeping you updated  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Walker done done

Got 2 new pics today - she's all loaded up and ready to be shipped minus one thing: I am debating over the Unity Gain Buffer and whether or not to install it.  I did have the FX loop bypass installed, but as for the UGB, I'm wondering if I really need it or not, and whether or not it'll be detrimental in the long run.  Here's what Tim (my luthier) had to say about it in the email today:

Ben we are ready to ship.  I was just going through final notes on  
the guitar and saw in the sheet we had discussed using a pre amp in  
the guitar.  We spoke again about not using it and on Saturday we  
were just going with the loop and no preamp.  I just want to make  
sure that you are happy with the guitar when it arrives so here are  
the pros and cons.  A preamp is advised for long cable runs.  This  
would happen with many effects and a large stage.  What it does is  
give the effects unity gain.  ( or full signal were there is lots of  
resistance).  A pre amp does effect the tone of the guitar mostly by  
giving it a higher output. (making the guitar louder but not exactly  
as clean)  A preamp also means a 9 volt battery.    In my opinion  
this guitar sounds great the way it is and the loop will work  
effectively for your use with out it.   The general leaning of many  
of the guys using effect loops right now is to keep the guitar  
natural (no pre amp.)  There is also a few companies making and  
outboard unity buffer so it is not in the guitar.  Steve Kimmock is  
one of the guys i first saw bypass the whole pre amp thing but still  
have the loop.  We just want to be sure before the guitar gets sent  
to you.  If you are good we will send.  If you have questions please  
shoot me a email because i will be away from my phone or just call  
Pat.  Thanks again.   t

So what do you guys think??  Should I or shouldn't I?  I mean, it's not like I'm running 50 foot cables, but I do have 10 FX in my chain right now, and I can see adding another 2-5 in the future.  FEEEEEEEEDBACK please!

Pics = lighting & angle aren't great, but hey...

Loop 3 Boomerang+