So I'm getting a new guitar

Started by Walker done done, April 05, 2007, 10:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

That's awesome! Congrats :cheers
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

cactuskeeb

wtf, walker done done?  

What's the verdict and can we see some photos -- please?

Walker done done

Welcome and hello to you too, cactus  8)

She had to be sent back unfortunately - 2 grounds came loose during shipping and I didn't trust anyone else to fix it.  She should be here early next week.  Bummer, but what can you do?

She is gorgeous though - like I said before, it looks like she should be on a fucking wall or in a museum.  It really is a work of art.  From what I did play of her, it was like a dream.  It will take me a little bit to get used to, as any new guitar would, but it felt like I was meant to have it, that's for sure.  Very light, as expected, and easy playability.  The quality of it was pristine - they did a really nice job.  I will post more pics & audio when she gets back.  I will say this: if you have the money ($10k), go for the real deal and get an official 'Doc.......if you don't have the loot, this is the next best thing.  And the case they gave me for it fucking phenomonal, it looks like a coffin almost!  I half expected to open it up and see a Tommy Gun inside or something - it seriously looks like something out of a mob movie.  Thing is a friggin' beast I tell you.  Rugged as shit and custom made to fit the git.

Here are some pics I took that day:

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

one day you should name her and get some inlay on that headstock. she looks almost like a sandy to me  :P

Walker done done

Quote from: \"posternutbag\"one day you should name her and get some inlay on that headstock. she looks almost like a sandy to me  :P

Ooooh....I likey!  And yeah, one day I am going to get an inlay, but so far I haven't thought of anything that suits me yet.  I had a few ideas such as my family's shield, but it's pretty complicated and might not look right.  The other idea I had was kind of silly so I didn't do it.  Eventually I'll find something I want to put on there, but the good thing is I won't have to send her away again for that, I can have someone locally do it I imagine.  There's a guy up in Rockland who builds phenomonal acoustic guitars and I've seen first hand some of his work and it's spectacular.  A friend of mine bought a $12k acoustic from him and is having another classical made.  Fucking inasne sounding too, as you can imagine.  You strum this thing and it sounds like you're in Albert Hall, no joke.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

i would love a 12k acoustic  :D  you get into that range of absolute insane pricing and everything is like a living creature. :shock:  :o

Walker done done

So.....

After much stress over the past week since I've gotten it back (and brought it to a new luthier up in Freeport that I just found...more on him later), I am sad to say I have bad news....and potentially good news.

The bad news: I am not keeping this guitar.  Though the soudn & tone are fricking incredible, there are too many poor details (all asthetic, some potentially long-term problematic) that were not done right, flawed, or just carelessly done and overlooked.  Lots of binding issues, bad neck joint, bad nut job, poorly finished fretboard (which has since been fixed by this luthier I mentioned) and numerous things I won't get into now, but needless to say I am heartbroken and pretty fucking pissed.  You don't pay that kind of money to get what I got - you pay that much so the guitar will jerk you off AND cook you dinner.  You get my point.

The good news: Pat was very gracious & apologetic to my concerns and has offered to build me a new guitar, while letting me keep the one I have until the new one is done, so not all is lost.  I am making a decision on what to do probably tomorrow - either take him up on his offer or send this one back, get my money back, and have my new luthier Andrew build me a replica.

This kid is pretty sick - I was in his shop for about 7 hours over 2 days last week and his work is fucking BEAUTIFUL.  

//www.aoguitars.com

This dude knows what he's doing and said he'd LOVE to build me a Doc replica, so we'll see.  He's been to over 130 Phish shows and obviously knows what I'm looking for, as well as having studied the real Docs for the last 15 years or so, so if anyone is looking - look no further - this is your man.  He's anally retentive when it comes to details and his work is just something to be seen.  Has some really good wood connections and a real passion for this biz, so I'd highly recommend him to anyone.  

Even if I don't have him build the Doc, I'll be commisioning him to build me something for me over the next few years.

He's currently building 2 Doc replicas for some guys and I saw a few Tiger/Rosebud replicas at his shop, not sure if those are sold or not, but damn they are purdy.  Check him out fo' sho' yo.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

Quote from: \"Walker done done\"So.....

After much stress over the past week since I've gotten it back (and brought it to a new luthier up in Freeport that I just found...more on him later), I am sad to say I have bad news....and potentially good news.

The bad news: I am not keeping this guitar.  Though the soudn & tone are fricking incredible, there are too many poor details (all asthetic, some potentially long-term problematic) that were not done right, flawed, or just carelessly done and overlooked.  Lots of binding issues, bad neck joint, bad nut job, poorly finished fretboard (which has since been fixed by this luthier I mentioned) and numerous things I won't get into now, but needless to say I am heartbroken and pretty fucking pissed.  You don't pay that kind of money to get what I got - you pay that much so the guitar will jerk you off AND cook you dinner.  You get my point.

The good news: Pat was very gracious & apologetic to my concerns and has offered to build me a new guitar, while letting me keep the one I have until the new one is done, so not all is lost.  I am making a decision on what to do probably tomorrow - either take him up on his offer or send this one back, get my money back, and have my new luthier Andrew build me a replica.

This kid is pretty sick - I was in his shop for about 7 hours over 2 days last week and his work is fucking BEAUTIFUL.  

//www.aoguitars.com

This dude knows what he's doing and said he'd LOVE to build me a Doc replica, so we'll see.  He's been to over 130 Phish shows and obviously knows what I'm looking for, as well as having studied the real Docs for the last 15 years or so, so if anyone is looking - look no further - this is your man.  He's anally retentive when it comes to details and his work is just something to be seen.  Has some really good wood connections and a real passion for this biz, so I'd highly recommend him to anyone.  

Even if I don't have him build the Doc, I'll be commisioning him to build me something for me over the next few years.

He's currently building 2 Doc replicas for some guys and I saw a few Tiger/Rosebud replicas at his shop, not sure if those are sold or not, but damn they are purdy.  Check him out fo' sho' yo.

wow iam soooo sorry benny! but your making the right call... if they didnt build yours right then send her back... as far as commissioning another luthier I honestly wouldnt waste anymore of my time or money. Id simply keep the one you got and make them build you another one, worse comes to worse, keep um both. But Id bet they dont fuck up your next one since you were wise to the issues with sandy (the one you got). I understand at first it may feel like a better call to just get a refund and go to another guy, but your replica is spot on, and if they dont make those mistakes again on a new one, itll be perfect right? And keep in mind when they give refunds its always conditional ,,, ie minus shipping, minus restocking, whatever, Id just avoid exchanging money unless youve got too and its sounds like you dont got to.