Should I switch pickups?

Started by Jkendrick, March 27, 2014, 06:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Relevant question:

What's the difference between series/parallel and split coil?  My new PRS-ish guitar has 'split coil' wiring on push/pull pots, is this any different than series/parallel like on the 'Docs?
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: No Nice Guy on April 01, 2014, 03:21:05 PM
Relevant question:

What's the difference between series/parallel and split coil?  My new PRS-ish guitar has 'split coil' wiring on push/pull pots, is this any different than series/parallel like on the 'Docs?

I've explained it in detail in other threads - I'll try to do a 'quick n dirty' explanation here. Hopefully I can make it clear and concise.

A humbucker has two coils. They are wired in series, somewhat analogous to how you normally wire pedals on your board: one pedal plugs into the next pedal. This is series, because they are in a series with each other.

Since a humbucker has two coils, you have the option of only using on coil, or a single coil. This has many names: coil-tap, split-coil, etc. This is similar to a single coil on a strat.

Parallel, like series, uses both coils from a humbucker. However, rather than wiring one coil into the other, they are next to, or parallel to, each other. Think of the comparison between series and parallel as analogous to Christmas lights. Older Christmas lights were in series and if one bulb burned out, they all turned off because the electricity could no longer flow through (just like one failed pedal in a series pedalboard can potentially completely kill your signal). Newer Christmas lights are parallel, so each bulb has its own separate link to electricity and if one bulb goes out, the others can stay on.

Languedoc guitars have a switch to turn normal, series humbuckers into single (or split) coils.

Languedoc guitars have a series switch as well, but it puts both humbuckers in series with each other, kinda turning the 4 (2 from each humbucker) coils into one big humbucker.

If you use the series switch with the single-coil switch, then you have one coil from each humbucker in series, kinda functioning like a normal humbucker but with the coils widely spaced from each other. To me, this kinda sounds like a Tele.

Languedoc guitars do not have a parallel option. I had my tech use a 3-way rather than 2-way toggle so he could add a parallel option along with the single-coil option. Parallel is quieter than a single, doesn't have the shimmery/glassy top-end and thus doesn't sound as good in most people's opinion, but it doesn't have as much 60hz hum as a single coil either. Its a nice option to have, but I rarely use it. [You can imagine mixing this with the series switch: two sets of two parallel single coils in series with each other - brain-twister!]
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 31, 2014, 02:36:21 PM
I'd suggest also contacting SD as another resource - they are good at describing their pickups.

I couldn't find much info through SD. I tried Sweetwater who just sent me a form letter sales email. Does anyone know a good dealer that would be able to answer some questions for me without just churning me into the sales pipeline? You know, I might just buy from someone who takes the time to actually help me rather than just enter my email address into Salesforce.com. Sheesh.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Jkendrick

I floated this over at TGP and it seems I'll need short legs. As such the PRS 59/09 and the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary are commonly recommended. The folks over the TGP tend to be going for a different sound than what I'm going for. Does anyone here have experience with these pickups? I want to be sure they're not too hot for me. Also the 59/09s are pricey. If I was to move into that price range I might look at those Lollars. Heady, do the Lollars have short legs?
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Poster

put dimarsz in there and do a JG buffer  ;D like the guy from cubensis

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on April 03, 2014, 12:58:29 PM
I floated this over at TGP and it seems I'll need short legs. As such the PRS 59/09 and the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary are commonly recommended. The folks over the TGP tend to be going for a different sound than what I'm going for. Does anyone here have experience with these pickups? I want to be sure they're not too hot for me. Also the 59/09s are pricey. If I was to move into that price range I might look at those Lollars. Heady, do the Lollars have short legs?

I've had the Lollars for a few years now, but I'm 90% sure they have short legs.

PS - when I mentioned checking with SD, I meant calling them. I didn't feel like they were giving me a sales pitch, I just told them I found the classifications on their site helpful, but not detailed enough, and they were good at describing their pickups.

Also, I'd keep my eye on eBay and TGP for a used set of pickups too.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

webephishin

I just ordered a set of gold plated SD 59's to put in my Schecter semi-hollow and I'm pumped to hear what it'll sound like.  Right now I just have the stock Duncan Designed pups in there which sound decent, my only gripe is that the neck pickup never cut through good enough, specifically during solos/leads.  I feel like I lose significant output when switching from bridge to neck pup and it drives me nuts.  For a temporary fix, I just raised the bridge pup height 3/4 of a turn...it helped a little bit but I feel like it just made the pup hotter rather than increased output.  I'm hoping these new 59's will make everything more balanced (after my research I believe it should), what do you guys think?
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

dontpanic

Yea the SD 59s are great pickups. All around. Give me a great tone in the bridge of my strat...

afountas

Those 59s will sound better for sure.  But, if you're trying to keep the current Duncans, keep the neck pickup raised where its at and try lowered the bridge pickup.  Also, when soloing in the neck position, dial up the tone knob.
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

webephishin

Well, I've got my 59's installed and this was the first time I played them with the full band.  I feel like I wasn't cutting through as good as before with my stock pups, but I think I just have to make a few minor adjustments on my amp and pedals, afterall they're different pickups that respond differently and probably (?) have different output than the stock pups.  They do sound great, i feel like I have a smoother, longer sustain, warmer tone, and clearer tone.  I feel like with my stock pickups my rhythm tones would get a little muddied up.  With the 59s, its like they are more balanced and you can really hear the tones of each string shine.  I'll be honest, I wasn't wow'd when I first played the guitar after they were put in.  It wasn't a huge change in tone, but I can definitely hear the difference in them and I look forward to tweaking my gear a bit to make it sound great. 

I feel like I've lost a little bit of punch/dirt to my tone with these new pups, but like i said, i think tweaking my settings will help. I feel like these pups may be less hot, but raising the pup height should help with that (?).   So far i've boosted the bass and treble just a tad on my amp eq, turned up the drive on my dirtier TS9DX, and raised the neck and bridge pups 2 full turns and 1 full turn respectively.  I'd love to hear any suggestions you guys have to really bring out the punch in these pups.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

dontpanic

Get some counterclockwise rotation going and drop those baby's down. Guitars and pickups sound so much better dropped way low-I mean flush to an 1/8" low- combined with gain compensation coming from, you guessed it, turning up your amp! I never let a new set with low output scare me, breathe those individual tonal qualities out as you would any other pickup by adjusting volume and gain via amp and pedals accordingly. And the flush thing, that is coming from strat experience only FYI, but it works. Awesome advice I picked up from kimock's blog a couple years ago. That guy is a genius with this kind of thing.

seriesnuns

How low under the strings are you running your pickup( when fretted at the 24th)?

I have two guitars and usually run them them 1/8 below then tweak from their.

Quote from: dontpanic on September 17, 2015, 01:25:17 AM
Get some counterclockwise rotation going and drop those baby's down. Guitars and pickups sound so much better dropped way low-I mean flush to an 1/8" low- combined with gain compensation coming from, you guessed it, turning up your amp! I never let a new set with low output scare me, breathe those individual tonal qualities out as you would any other pickup by adjusting volume and gain via amp and pedals accordingly. And the flush thing, that is coming from strat experience only FYI, but it works. Awesome advice I picked up from kimock's blog a couple years ago. That guy is a genius with this kind of thing.

webephishin

Ill have to measure and get back to u on that.  Can u clarify, there should be an 1/8" space between the string and what?

dontpanic

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It's actually 1/16"! 1/16" from the top of my pickguard to the top of the pickup; NOT THE POLE PIECE. Waaay low. Treble side is a little higher-safe estimate is about 1/8" for the treble side. The bridge is slightly higher overall, but not by much, just enough to hear a bit of boost when riding the bridge. I really can't believe more folks don't play like this... Guys look at me like I'm crazy when they look at/play my guitar, but eventually they see the light. Way more dynamics, especially in a strat (has been tested on single coils, lipsticks, and humbuckers alike). Lot's of support for this on Jerry and Kimock's blogs.... Best thing I ever did was drop them way down, get used to that output, then adjust my rig from there. Oh yea, and then raise that action!

dontpanic

Whoops, I haven't measured from the 24th. Those measurements are all unfretted. I feel like it is all a matter of hear and feel with the pups. No need to measure just get em low! This is all my humble opinion of course!