The art of good guitar playing...

Started by cactuskeeb, October 06, 2010, 09:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

Some will no doubt see this as just some guy sounding like Trey.  I just see it as someone who really understands what he's doing, and you can hear how much this sets him apart from mere imitators.

http://theartoftrey.blogspot.com/2010/07/lesson-3.html

patrickstefanski

Quote from: cactuskeeb on October 06, 2010, 09:26:28 PM
Some will no doubt see this as just some guy sounding like Trey.  I just see it as someone who really understands what he's doing, and you can hear how much this sets him apart from mere imitators.

http://theartoftrey.blogspot.com/2010/07/lesson-3.html

i've been watching these for awhile now....he's great
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

YouEnjoyMyReba

Thats just a guy that sounds like Trey!

just kidding, even though thats the ultimate compliment. Those videos are great
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Poster

best videos for this type of playing online aside from the genuine article himself

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Cactus, thanks for sharing this link.  I'm trying to learn new licks and techniques and this is a great resource to check out.  Props.

Picture, thanks for that one too.  I checked it out about a year ago.  Great stuff fo sho.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

I think the key to playing chromatic runs is that you have to hit those "out of scale" notes really fast so they are barely detected. Like 16ths. I think that's characterstic of Treys older style of playing where as now he stays more within the scale and lets notes hang longer and plays less of them...more musically tastefull to my ear. I know lots of folks miss the machine gun style.

Happyorange27

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on October 07, 2010, 12:42:28 PM
I think the key to playing chromatic runs is that you have to hit those "out of scale" notes really fast so they are barely detected. Like 16ths. I think that's characterstic of Treys older style of playing where as now he stays more within the scale and lets notes hang longer and plays less of them...more musically tastefull to my ear. I know lots of folks miss the machine gun style.

Good call.  I'm trying to get outside of the scale because it's so predictable.  I'm trying to use bigger interval leaps.  What i really want to be able to do is skip around so that it sounds unpredictable and bad ass but still musical.  You know what I mean (machine gun style).  I think that is the magical part; when you hear a sweet lick and you just can't transpose it in your head because it was slipping and folding in on itself.  That's what I want to learn.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

patrickstefanski

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 07, 2010, 12:53:47 PM

I'm trying to use bigger interval leaps. 

this is exactly what i am working on
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

picture_of_nectar

I've been practicing the scale patterns in thirds. It's a great excersise and takes some dedication. 4ths sounds even tougher. 

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on October 07, 2010, 01:40:39 PM
I've been practicing the scale patterns in thirds. It's a great excersise and takes some dedication. 4ths sounds even tougher. 

Do you mean playing each 3rd note in the scale? Yup, that is tough.  Takes a LOT of practice, messing up, starting over, shifting your ass on the chair so it doesn't go numb, etc. lol

I need to get back to more digging in like this - THIS is the stuff that really pays off when you least expect it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

patrickstefanski

Quote from: Walker done done on October 07, 2010, 04:03:24 PM
Quote from: picture_of_nectar on October 07, 2010, 01:40:39 PM

Do you mean playing each 3rd note in the scale? Yup, that is tough.  Takes a LOT of practice, messing up, starting over, shifting your ass on the chair so it doesn't go numb, etc. lol

I need to get back to more digging in like this - THIS is the stuff that really pays off when you least expect it.

mmm, when i "play in thirds" i usually just walk up three notes in the scale, then backstep one, then three, then backstep one.

for example if i was doing major scale:   1,2,3,2,3,4,3,4,5,4,5,6,5,6,7,6,7,1
great way to move around....gets a little redundant though if you do it a lot (like i do)
Current Rig:

picture_of_nectar

Yes, playing every third note in the scale, up and down. In all 5 positions. Pretty tough to do fast....

Not the same as the exercise you are describing patrick, but that is a good one too.

jadirusso

Yeah what Patrick is describing I more think of as a dexterity exercise in triplets up and down.. I like to do that in all kinds of groupings.. 3, 4, 5, etc.. and through all the modes and even groupings of chromatic stuff.

PON you mean  this right? 1324354657  etc...

Basically what this guy is doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiiNn20ig6Q
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

picture_of_nectar

Yeah I kind of forgot about the return to the note you skipped part.