Main Menu

greetings

Started by jsegge0, June 10, 2008, 12:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

i dont use the springgy just heard/saw them @ namm nashville this year. the van amps sole mate is the best IMO. Ive used TC units before (maybe last generation of that reverb unit) and honestly there isnt any comparison between the two. For one, that digital TC thing may be great for running all those mics etc but unless there is a big spring in there its not going to be close. For example, aside from the obvious differences from having a printed pcb board and a wound handmade spring tank, when you play with a real van amps sole mate in a live setting you can make all these fucking brilliant noises by tapping your foot on it and BANG, combined with other pedals its unlike anything else short of a hammer inside an empty water tower. Secondly, the TC stuff will die if you poor a beer all over it, the Van Amps thing is a tiger tank. On some versions of the sole mate you can actually blend the dry and wet signals with the unit to really balance it out, on the new new ones you can actualy blend the mix right on the front with 2 knobs. Its pure genius,  if you want to sound like the stones at the super bowl, with that true grit throaty tube laden squish there isnt really many options short of 1) vintage tube reverb tank 2) a clone of one of those tube reverb tanks 3) van amps sole mate/ reverberator

jsegge0

in my absence, i have reconfigured my guitar rig.  after much deliberation (trial and error from local guitar stores), i have created the following effects loop.  i've purchased a guitar from a custom luthier, resembling garcia's 'wolf' design', with 3 humbuckers, series/parallel/coil tap, and an effects loop (with unity buffer).  i've gone ahead and purchased the effects, awaiting the completion of the guitar.  the new rig is as follows...

guitar > loop switcher (effects loop)

1 - maxon af-9 envelope filter > keeley nova-wah
2 - maxon ood-9 > boss ge-7 eq
3 - maxon osd-9 > boss eq
4 - digitech whammy iv
5 - maxon pt-999 phase tone
6 - boss dd-7 (analog delay) > boss dd-7 (modulate) > boss dd-7 (hold)
7 - boss dd-7 (reverse)
8 - boomerang phrase sampler

the effects loop returns to the guitar, and outputs into a ernie ball volume pedal (purchased), then into my amp.  as of right now, i have a cyber-twin se.  i'm waiting on my guitar to be complete before purchasing a new amp; i plan on tinkering with various amp models (presets in the amp) before making my decision.  as for now, i'm dialing in the overdrive and eq pedals.  soon enough, i will invest in a custom switcher (c.a.e. or voodoolabs) and mount all effect boxes permanently in a rack, leaving only the foot-switcher, volume pedal, boomerang, and whammy on the floor.  this will cut out a lot of unwanted cable length, and possible tone loss.

what do you guys think?

liquidloop

@jsegge0 --

all this talk about custom guitars, loops, pedals, and you switched to a bass?!?!?  i appreciate your generosity, although, some of your pedals may find new homes.

how have you been stranger?  you heading to terrapin?