Main Menu

Why Phish....

Started by Walker done done, December 07, 2009, 11:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

....started referring back to safe setlists & overplayed songs towards the end of the tour is a question I don't want to think about.  I would've been a little ticked off had I seen those MSG & VA shows.  Light, Antelope, & Golgi played 3 times over 5 shows (including Portland)?  That's a little much.  There were some good breakouts here and there, but overall the setlists look pretty reserved, and I was a little dissapointed to see that.  I've heard some of the shows and they sound good (not as kcik ass as late summer, however), and the reviews from friends have been good, but all I'm saying is with such a big song catalog and so much to choose from, why keep dipping in the same well?  My guess is they wanted to play stuff they really really knew without having to worry too much about dusting stuff off night after night.  A man can only keep so many songs in his head at one time, right?  Well, that is the case for me anyways...but these guys are superheros, no?  They can do anything, right?  ;D

One of the best things about Phish is going to show and not knowing what's coming next, though with these setlists, that's not the case.  You've got a pretty good shot at predicting what's coming next.  It may be a little early to say this, but I hope Phish isn't becoming what they said they'd never be: a nostalgia act.  The Phish I know pushes the envelope.  Hopefully they do that for the NYE run.

I was reading Mr. Minor's thoughts over the last few days & was surprised at how much he gave them a pass for the repetition.  I would've expected more from him as well.  Guess there's 2 sides to every coin. 

What do you guys think holds in store for next year?  A brief late winter tour?  Actually I think someone on here posted something about Trey doing a late winter tour, so Phish probably won't happen until.......Summer tour?  How about a new album?  I hope all are possibilities.  A late summer > fall tour would be nice, closing it out in Indio once again for Halloween, though it's mere wishful thinking they'll do another musical costume, especially that quickly, isn't it?

I guess as Phish officially comes to a close for the year, these are the things that pop in my head.  An unbelievable summer tour made my year, though.  That really was something. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

ColForbin

But couldn't it almost being said that playing a few predictable shows setlist wise, was the last thing you or I would expect and therefore unpredictable??!!

Portland, being my first show, I know I wouldn't have changed a single thing about it.  As to why they did it?  I don't know, but I think pretty much everything they have has been dusted off, what with Indio being just over a month ago.  Just a thought...
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

picture_of_nectar

They blew their wad in Albany, the 2nd night!  :P

no but seriously, at the tour closer they played Sneak'n Sally, Wedge, Bold as Love, a crazy Tweezer->Light, Sweet Virginia...and you are complaining? MSG got Peaches, Glide, Twist, Boogie On, juius, Cities, Halleys Comet...all have been pretty rare for 09.

I agree there have been alot of YEMs and Tweezers...

But, I think you need to look at the whole tour...they played a ton of bustouts.

Mountains in the Mist, Albuquerque, Torn and Freyed, If I Could, Ginsing Sullivan, Cool it Down, Axilla, Weigh, Camel Walk, Curtain With, Train Song, Gumbo, Two Versions of Me, Timber, Walk Away, My Friend, On your Way Down, I Been Around, Vultures, Uncle Penn, Nellie Cane, Peaches, Sanity, Crimes of the Mind, BBFCFM, Freebird!

Seems like they have been divying out the bustouts pretty regularly at 1-2 per show.

Obviously Albany 2 was really the hightlight of the tour jamwise. But I thought Portland, MSG, and Charlottesville were all really tight shows.

As far as Summer vs Fall, they definately turned it up a notch! Had Fall been a repeat of summer tour...now there would be something to complain about.

The two songs I was expecting to hear were Drowned and Crosseyed and Painless

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

I agree, I think they did a nice job busting out (typically) 1-2 a show, can't complain there.  But again, lots of repetiveness, and this from the band that turned their backs on such.  Just struck me as uncharacteristic of them.  Light/Golgi/Antelope....at back-to-back shows ????  Who ever heard of such a thing?  It seems like they were going to the quick-n-easies too much.  They were calling one in, taking a play off.  Ehh.  I'm glad I saw the shows that I saw (Albany 2x + Portland).  Defintely a good 3-run to be happy with.   
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

They are just getting warmed up mane. Next tour is going to blow your socks off!

Still Cinci night 1 and Albany night 2 set 2 best of tour IMO

MSG kinda blew IMO. I downloaded and it got 86d

jadirusso

I had fun and enjoyed the 2x Albany and Portland shows myself too and I feel good about the fact that I didn't see MSG because it was a lot of repeats and I think the peak was the three shows I saw..

I have seen Light a lot this year tho.. Fenway, 8, ALB I and Portland
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Stiles12

agree with picture,

repetitiveness at MSG, yes... but songs like Peaches, Glide, Boogie on, Julius, Dinner and a Movie, Cities, scents and subtle sounds, Axilla, all pretty rare. Peaches hasn't been played since september of 99. MSG had the best Suzy in 2009, including festival 8. One of the better chalkdusts i have seen (from a guitar players point of view) the boogie on was fun. a good reba. I feel like some of us might be looking for a show with shine, mud city, tuesday, sweet dreams melinda, drifting and dragonfly.

MSG wasnt the best three nights of the tour, but it certainly does not get cut from your itunes; Thats just crazy

Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

picture_of_nectar

I saw that Peaches in September 99, Boise...my last pre-haitus show.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Rod Stewart 2000

Hey kids.  not much of a forum guy, but felt like puttin my two cents in on this one.

I think the reason Phish has been repeating so many songs is that they're just trying to get the feel for them again.  I definitely do not think it has anythign to do with laziness, or wanting to be safe by playing something they know - just the opposite.  Phish is SERIOUSLY workin to get their stuff tight again.  Bands get rusty when they don't play together for five years-- just listen to hampton...  it takes a while to get it all back together.   I don't know about other folks, but I still hear Trey's right hand getting a little loose when hes sings... and speeding up the tempo lately (e.g. waste from portland)...  that said, phish was insanely ON last tour.   I think someone else said to just wait for next tour for some serious face meltin - I totally agree.

Also, I think I saw someone mention the Boise '99 show.  That is the first phish recording i ever owned, and definietly what got me into them (a good audience tape--i've always been into the audience).  Very cool see other people dig this show, or were even there.    Best disease ever in my opinion.  hands down.  best waste too.  listening to the peaches right now.  you owe it to yourself to  take an evening with a J and a good stereo system to enjoy this one.