Handmade Guitar Cables from AO Guitars

Started by raisingfreen, February 21, 2010, 08:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Hope all is well. Wanted to give my review of the handmade cables I just received from Andrew at AO Guitars. In the past I was used to just getting whatever I could at a reasonable price via GC or some local stores. It was not until my guitar was modified by AO Guitars that I noticed just how bad the expensive store bought cables were.

I am sure everyone has an opinion on this topic as cables seem to spread the gamut quality wise. I just wanted simple, great quality cables that sound and function great. No static when switching, good clean sound, no noise, durable, great flexibility etc... You know like Trey and others have right? (what's good for them and all) I tried forever to place an order with Hard Truckers for the Brian Brown cables only to find the web order form never worked or it just said they were out. I am no rock star and don't want to be on some waiting list or however people actually get these things. I just wanted good cables.

Anyhoo, I submitted an order with Andrew via email (see, simple). He asked some basic questions, about length and connections etc. and that was that. Nice and simple. I received them a few weeks later upon my next visit to his shop. One of them that I ordered had a "silent plug" installed on one end which I found very useful. I had noticed this feature initially while in his shop as he used one for testing guitars. Basically this enables you to disconnect the guitar at any time with no noise or pop from the amp and cuts all signal. My guitar has a battery for the internal buffer so this type of cable connection was very important to me to save batter life. Upon testing them I immediately noticed a difference from even my expensive store bought cables. No noise, static or anything when using the guitar switches and the signal was audibly better than the ones I had. The way stuff is supposed to be.

He offers various types and options. So feel free to contact him with any questions. I went with the Blue Canare GS-6 various lengths, with various Neutrik connections as needed. He offers a cool cable wrap for extra durability however I just liked the simple blue ones. Very easy to tell my stuff from other peoples stuff. Simple. As for price, I had initially not even asked, however when I got the bill I was pleasantly surprised. Even if your not looking for a custom guitar from him, grab some cables and get a relationship started.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

aoguitars

that HT cover looks AWESOME on your Deluxe, man. Well done. That's a great rig you got now...psyched to hear it with the new Weber.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com