Main Menu

TS-10 vs TS-9

Started by GonePhishing46, February 24, 2010, 10:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonePhishing46

Maybe yall have some input about this subject... We all know the new TS-9 reissue needs mods to sound good, become more transparent, or to become 808 specs and so on to get what you want it to sound like. But, I bought a TS-10 a while back and have been really pleased. It has the JRC4558D chip of course and probably has better components than the reissue. What's everyones opinion on the TS-10? Doesn't seem like there are too many owners out there. The only thing I have a concern about is that when I run my TS-10 and TS-9 reissue through my Ross Compressor, with same level settings (max), the TS-10 has a considerable volume drop (I'm running it as the clean boost pedal ala 94' tone). I've read past posts from users with this same setup having to turn the second tubescreamer down a bit to have similar volumes... Is this pretty common? I want to get my TS-9 modded in the soon future to have the JRC4558D chip and some more high quality resistors, but not the 808 mod. I like the mid hump. Maybe it'll lower the overall volume of the pedal. I found this mod available which I'm gonna try....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Screamer-True-Vintage-Mod-JRC4558D_W0QQitemZ280468457439QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item414d3907df

Yall heard anything about this kind of mod?
Custom Hollowbody -> TS-10 -> TS-9 modded -> Ross Compressor -> Whammy II (True Bypass) -> Tuner -> Black Cat Vibe -> Alesis Quadraverb -> Groove Tubes Soul-O-75 -> Groove Tubes 4x10 Cabinet || Hammond Leslie

YouEnjoyMyReba

I've never used a ts-10 but i am running two ts-9s (silver) with my compressor set up before the tubescreamers. (i know its supposed to go after but this is what i prefer) when i engage my second ts-9 with the first already engaged i have a significant volume drop but when i put the compressor in the chain after the tubescreamers the exact opposite happens. 

I've never heard of the mod in the link, but it sounds legit.  From what i read in the forum about trey's mid 90s tubescreamers it seems like it would very similar to what he used back then.
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

TS-10's usually have the good op-amp but they are not as rugged as a ts9 (2 circuit boards connected by ribbon wire). That being said, stevie ray vaughn was using a ts10 and john mayer is using one now (he has the same guitar tech that srv did). I really like my '82 tube screamer better than my ts10 or analogman 808 or silver mods. you have to try one to see the difference.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe