the direction of Phish, post 1/1/11?

Started by Walker done done, October 06, 2010, 11:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Has anyone noticed how bad ticket sales have been for Phish?  I know a bunch of people w/ extras for this fall tour - it's alarming. 

Not only that, I just went on ticketmaster and you can still buy tickets to the Augusta show!  I couldn't believe it.  I've also been told that they're still available for the Manchvegas show, so it also makes me wonder about the Prov & UMASS shows.  Crazy to think about, but I think it's a sign of the times and of things to come, and it makes me wonder about Phish's plans for the future. 

Aside from that comeback summer tour last year which saw everyone and their brother scrambling to see Phish again, they've had a hard time selling out venues.  As we all know during last year's fall tour tickets could be found on the ground or for as low as $20.  And now that they're playing small venues in their wheelhouse (the northeast) and STILL can't sell out...makes me wonder what's going to happen going forward.  Are we seeing the end of Phish because their fans are older and aren't willing to travel like we they used to?  Yeah they're still attracting a younger audience but nowhere near what they need to sustain (right?)  But Phish isn't going to tour if it doesn't make sense finacially, right?  Or might we see them just go back to playing smaller venues and theaters and do small tours that way?  Do you think that's something they want to do?

Personally I'd love to see it, and I'd love to see them try to reinvent themselves completely.  Start playing all new stuff (you know they have a TON TON TON of material they're not even playing), ditch the regular rotation material for a while and just start as a brand new band and say fuck it.  But...I'm not sure this is something they're up for or have a craving to do.  At this point in their lives they may just say fuck it, it's not worth it.  I guess this sort of ties in with my idea of setlist stagnation as of late.  You can count on Sample, Divided Sky, YEM et al at every 3-5 shows, guaranteed.  There are a ton of others that fall in line with this too.  Not saying I don't love to hear those songs, but it'd sure be interesting to see them totally reinvent themselves, and then sprinkle those classics in so when they were played it would be more of a treat rather than the norm.  <end rant>
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27

Yes the supply is greater than the demand.  Perhaps because there are so many shows booked, but more than likely because most of the phans are indeed more settled down.  Hell I started seeing them in college back in 1998 so I would be fine driving long distances and being away from home for a long time, but dude now I'm lucky to get to the show at my local city (like once a year).  I'm sure there are many like me who have major commitments and jobs and family, so touring with Phish just isn't going to be a priority.  Now you might think that we should be making up for this with current college kids, but maybe with the hiatus, a whole college generation skipped out on this culture and thus lost recruitment to touring.  It's hard to fill that void I think.

Also just in general, I think over time, the demand just dwindles as far as volume of fans.  I'm not statistical brain, but I'm guessing all great bands have the same trend going on.  There is one maximum peak in a lifetime and maybe we saw that peak.

Again, I'm agreeing with you all the way.  I sooo sooo sooo love Phish, even if I can't buy 4 tickets for the next tour.  I think it's just the way the cookie crumbles. 
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

I think its simple.

The economy sucks!

And they have been touring like this is the Clinton years...

You cant just have a party every night and expect people to show up when they dont have any money.

ColForbin

You are right poster, the US economy has seen better days.  What a lot of acts started to do is come on up to Canada and do some shows.  It's smart business actually, as we haven't been hit as hard as the US or some other parts of the world.  Of course our exports to the US have taken a hit which has it's impact, but our unemployment rate hasn't fluctuated all that much.  It makes sense from a currency standpoint as well, even if the dollar is at $0.95US, over thousands of dollars it can make quite a difference.  Phish has a huge following in the neighbor to the north and I've always wondered why they never did more shows up here.  Of course, there is transportation costs, but it would cost those guys less money to go to Montreal or Toronto than it would California.

Anyways, just my thoughts.  But to follow that up, I know the 3D movie didn't make as much money as they had hoped, same with Dave Matthews' 3d concert effort, but neither one of them put it into a single theater in Canada, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my estimation.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Walker done done

Quote from: ColForbin on October 06, 2010, 01:04:34 PM
Of course, there is transportation costs, but it would cost those guys less money to go to Montreal or Toronto than it would California.

but neither one of them put it into a single theater in Canada, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my estimation.

Agreed 100% on both of those points.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

It seems like Tickets are either impossible (Broomfield, AC), or undersold. Wish it was somewhere in between.

Concur on wanting more new tunes.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

ShockedAndPersuaded

I think all points considered are determining factors save one not mentioned yet.  Before I throw this out there I would like to preface this statement with my complete love and admiration of Phish and their musical ideology. 

I feel that there is also the phan phactor.  While many are grateful for the return it is bittersweet at times.  Phish's phans hold them to a certain amount of musical accountability.  We can all agree that they have been executing there shows with predictable precision but that's not necessarily what makes Phish........... Phish.  They lack the "risk" factor anymore.  It's almost as if they have been running through the motions.  Auto pilot.  I think now that the honeymoon phase for folks is over people are taking a second to say I'd like to see my options just so I can weigh them.  (waddya say...)   I know for myself it's hard for me to justify taking the time off work and family to go see the same show I saw last season.  I'm with you Walker I would just as soon see the boys take a step back, try some new stuff (that we know they have), and stop trying to be this version that they feel their fans want them to be.  I hate to say it but I'm kind of tired of seeing Trey give in to every request that gets thrown at him.  First it was the Ross, then the Boogie, then it was too much whammy use.  What next? I think if Phish and their phans would just surrender to the flow and allow things to happen it might be a different scene.    Then again I could be totally off and as usual over analyzing everything.  It could just be the long dick of the economy slipping everyone the high hard one.

All that being said I would like to re-emphasize that I am grateful for their return and if this is what they have to offer then I'll take it.  I'm not an era snob.  I just like to see bands step out of the comfort zone.   
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Walker done done

Loop 3 Boomerang+

patrickstefanski

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Rusty the Scoob

Interesting topic.   I've been sort-of out of the Phish loop lately and was shocked to find tickets for Providence still for sale last week, and that face value was $60 plus fees!  And the show was mediocre and the venue was not great... AHL hockey rinks just aren't built to hold that many people.  So I blew off Amherst and Manchvegas.

I think part of the reason for the decline might be the fans themselves...  if you're Phish, how do you get motivated to keep pushing yourself after you put out Time Turns Elastic and so many people complain about it?

On the other hand, the Dead were selling out full stadiums in the 90's writing mostly awful songs and playing like total crap.  Just because of Touch of Grey, maybe? 
Phishhead playing Phil

www.fennario.us

beebs

I am glad to see smaller venues and cheaper prices, and I think it will do a lot for the band.
Ibanez SR300 Bass -> SWR Workingman's 15 Combo
Ibanez AS80 -> GCB -> TS-9 -> CS-3 -> RP3 -> Superchamp XD

Walker done done

Quote from: beebs on October 28, 2010, 04:24:59 PM
I am glad to see smaller venues and cheaper prices, and I think it will do a lot for the band.

I think we're already starting to see the affects of it.  The last few shows (expecially Manchvegas) were stellar.  These guys are just meant to play these mid size rooms = it's where they absolutely sound the best and feed off the energy the best.

Loop 3 Boomerang+