The Influences that created Phish

Started by Uncle_Ebeneezer, January 10, 2012, 05:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle_Ebeneezer

I'm not sure about you guys but I love seeing how newer artists can take soundscapes or concepts that they dig and then incorporate them into their own music, whether it's the sick covers or just some lick that reminds you of something else. For a lot of bands this can be really cut and dried but Phish always makes for an interesting subject matter in this respect. The Zappa influence is very pronounced, so I'm referring to more subtle ones... I know PYITE always make me think of Song Remains the Same, and YEM at parts seems like a cool mix of a whole bunch of artists styles... I guess Phish is one of those bands who can play any genre so talking about their roots is always interesting. What do you think?

manicstarseed

I agree with the Zappa influence. Song composition, transitions, humor, there is a lot of "similarities"... I want to think on this more and see what other artists I hear....
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

MomaDan

I know of four bands that they have had a heavy influence on them, hint... Phish covered their albums on Halloween (not counting the newer 2 performances). The funk phase came not coincidentally after the Talking Heads costume show. End of Sleeping Monkey is a Let it Be jam. beginning of Scents & Subtle Sounds is similar to Sparks by The Who, at least to me. Meatstick is Fire on the Mountain in a different key. Theres a bunch of other examples.
Then theres the jazz influences, songs like Manteca Magilla and Landlady as well as the composed parts in a few others.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

ColForbin

I wouldn't go right out and discount the newer performances either, in terms of Halloween.  I didn't even know who Little Feat was before Phish covered Waiting for Columbus.  In fact, I went out the next day and bought the album.  But as someone mentioned in the "influence of little feat" thread, there is definitely some inspiration there.  Exile on Main Street is also a pretty obvious influence for them as well.  Torn and Frayed is particular I found fitting in right at home with the Phish style, which I guess is why they continued to cover it throughout 2010.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

patrickstefanski

Quote from: ColForbin on January 11, 2012, 06:59:33 AM
which I guess is why they continued to cover it throughout 2010.

and 2011
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

I agree that the obvious influences are the Halloween album covers.  You can take something from all of them and say "see, there's the influence" or say "here's what Phish took from this artist/album".  But it isn't just limited to that, for sure.  One of the things I find amazing about this band is the very vast amount of artists I've discovered as a result of Phish.  I can single handedly thank them for a good chunk of my musical accumen - they've opened doors to artists directly related to them, who in turn have turned me onto other artists I never would've known about as a result.  They've covered a ton of ground when it comes to styles or genres, and the diversity that they show in their music is nothing short of amazing.  Jazz, rock, bluegrass, jamband, reggae, funk, country, and a ton of others come to mind. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

MomaDan

I just included the first 4 Halloween shows because I have heard those shows way more times than the 2 recent ones.  They have been playing Loving Cup as an encore pretty much every third or fourth show this year. Songs like SOAMule have a much more traditional influence. Phish covers all genres and styles.
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Uncle_Ebeneezer

Quote from: Walker done done on January 11, 2012, 10:17:02 AM
One of the things I find amazing about this band is the very vast amount of artists I've discovered as a result of Phish. 

So true. Phish was a gateway band for me to all kinds of music, and just a broader interest in music as a whole. I stopped playing guitar for like two years and then got into phish... been 5 years since then and there's no going back at all.

fulltone1989

They covered a lot of Jazz Standards in the earlier years 83-89 quite often comparatively, and Trey has stated that he's a huge Pat Metheny fan.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.