Cool quote on musicianship, food for thought

Started by Stecks, January 26, 2013, 03:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stecks

"I've never known a musician who regretted being one.  Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is NOT going to let you down."  - Virgil Thomson (American composer, think Copland... very big influence of the "Americana" sound in orchestral music..)

I've found this to be pretty true.  Music has pretty much been the one consistent unwavering truth in my life thus far (other than pudding is delicious).  Music has never lied to me.  Its never judged me.  Music has always been there when I needed her.  Invariably, I have found that music is honest.  A little more than images, and a HELL of a lot more than people.

Music itself is NOT going to let you down.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

sour d

Music has let me down before. It was at a disco biscuits show.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

fulltone1989

Quote from: sour d on January 26, 2013, 07:32:14 PM

This. Great quote though!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Well, you can't control what other people think and do.  I think that its more a reflection of the music that YOU play....

But yeah... I could see how you'd feel somewhat dead inside in that scenario.  Everyone has a fat chick in their past...
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

webephishin

I am not trying to stir up anything by any means whatsoever, but I wonder why ppl hate them so much. i'm on another phish board that hates on the disco biscuits.  From what i've read it's mostly because of their fans and the scene that encompasses their music/shows.  I never listen to them, and i've seen them live 1 time.  I had a good time at the show which is all the matters.  Maybe i got lucky?  Whats the deal with that?   
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Stecks

Quote from: webephishin on January 28, 2013, 09:16:48 PM

I am not trying to stir up anything by any means whatsoever, but I wonder why ppl hate them so much. i'm on another phish board that hates on the disco biscuits.  From what i've read it's mostly because of their fans and the scene that encompasses their music/shows.  I never listen to them, and i've seen them live 1 time.  I had a good time at the show which is all the matters.  Maybe i got lucky?  Whats the deal with that?   

... which is why you should NEVER listen to anything anyone ever tells you about music.  (Read my Trey lesson posts...)

Consider the following:   If you think your girlfriend is sexy, but everyone else thinks she's a wildebeest, who is right, who is wrong, and does it even matter?

Heady Jam Fan

I have some Bisco on my iTunes, I haven't listened to it since high school or college and even then, not much. They do some interesting stuff on their recordings.

The 2nd or 3rd time I saw Umphrey's McGee, a couple guys from Bisco were there and came out and jammed a bit. I'm pretty sure they couldn't keep up with Umphrey's ;)

I agree with Steck's - the quote seems to be about one's own music. Good or bad, when playing for myself, it makes me happy.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9