Opinions please

Started by TheSeeker, July 13, 2013, 03:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

What do you guys think....a set of brand new schaller golden 50's for $100, or should I stick with SD 59's?  I got a new RM Olson clone that i'm finishing right now, and can't decide on pups.  It's completely hollow and beautiful!!  Thanks guys!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

Quote from: TheSeeker on July 13, 2013, 03:07:16 AM
What do you guys think....a set of brand new schaller golden 50's for $100, or should I stick with SD 59's?  I got a new RM Olson clone that i'm finishing right now, and can't decide on pups.  It's completely hollow and beautiful!!  Thanks guys!

If you don't go with the Schaller golden 50's and they're 4 wire, definitely let me know I'm pickup shopping too. You already have '59's in your guitar though... maybe swap it up for some variety?

Your inbox is full btw!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

TheSeeker

Quote from: fulltone1989 on July 13, 2013, 08:35:44 AM
Quote from: TheSeeker on July 13, 2013, 03:07:16 AM
What do you guys think....a set of brand new schaller golden 50's for $100, or should I stick with SD 59's?  I got a new RM Olson clone that i'm finishing right now, and can't decide on pups.  It's completely hollow and beautiful!!  Thanks guys!

If you don't go with the Schaller golden 50's and they're 4 wire, definitely let me know I'm pickup shopping too. You already have '59's in your guitar though... maybe swap it up for some variety?

Your inbox is full btw!

Ah, that's why I was getting some weird message when I tried to send you a message.  Did it go through with all the pics and stuff?  I will let you  know about the pups....I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy.  They are 4 conductor.  If I find any others, I will let you know for sure!  Oh and my mailbox is empty now...thanks!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

I've owned both the Schaller's and SD's. I think they are truly indistinguishable. The SD's are clones of the 59s. They did a good job.

A lot of people like a 59 neck and JB bridge. Never tried it personally, but it supposed to be better balanced. I ended up with Lollar Imperials for this reason, but they are pretty pricey.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on July 13, 2013, 04:28:27 PM
I've owned both the Schaller's and SD's. I think they are truly indistinguishable. The SD's are clones of the 59s. They did a good job.

A lot of people like a 59 neck and JB bridge. Never tried it personally, but it supposed to be better balanced. I ended up with Lollar Imperials for this reason, but they are pretty pricey.

Mmmm...Lollars!  I would love to have a set of those bad boys!!  But like you said, very pricey!  I'll probably just end up stickin with the Duncs'.