Main Menu

Radio Interference

Started by lowspark, October 28, 2008, 03:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowspark

This has been going on for a while now, but i figured yall might could help.  I have a schecter hollowbody that runs through a ts9 silver, a stigtronics compressor, crybaby, and into a deluxe reverb amp.  Whenever i take my hand off the guitar, i can hear a radio station coming through my amp (i can actually kinda listen to it too....), but when i touch my guitar again, i cant hear it.  Any ideas?  ???

Walker done done

Could be the outlet you're plugging into.  Have you ever gone to another place (not in the same housing that you jam in) & plugged everything in?  Do you still get that interference?  I was thinking it also could be a ground wire in your guitar that's come loose, but I doubt it.  When I first got my custom back, they forgot to install a ground wire so everytime I took my hand off any metal on the guitar it would hum like a motherfucker.  I also used to get radio stations @ my buddy's house where we used to jam, but now that we're @ our jamspot, doesn't happen anymore.  Check all your cables too.  I guess there's a chance it could be some wiring in your amp as well, but me & electricity don't know each other well enough to say - I'm sure someone else on here will be able to tell you what's going on.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

GDCSH-1

I basically have the same setup as you, same guitar schecter csh-1, anologman ts-9, comp, 65 deluxe reverb re. etc.. i've had this setup for about two years now and i was having the same issue for a while, couldn't figure it out, lol i would always pick up the gospel station it was crazy but anyway i came to the conclusion that it was my location of where I was playing, and other electronic devices i think effected it also, for example in the winter we jam in the basement of my house, i would occasionally pick up radio stations sounded like AM stations, sometimes they would come in very clear sometimes faint and distorted, but some nights it wouldn't pick anything up, but in the summer we jam in a separate garage in the back of my house where there's really no electronic devices accept our gear, and my amp has rarely picked up a station, i think it happened once or twice in the garage compared to in my basement where it happened a numerous amount of times. And also for me it was my amp receiving the stations, when a station came in i could disconnect everything and keep the amp on and hear the station and even control how loud it came in with my volume. When my amp was new it would happen a lot, unfortunately i cant tell you an exact fix for this issue, their may be or their is a fix for it, could be a ground issue im not sure, but over time i pick up stations a lot less, hope this helped.       
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

cactuskeeb

I think I know exactly how to eliminate RF interference of this kind: move your gear to a location that is well isolated from other powered on, actively running electronics--especially laptops and wireless routers.  Moreover, follow Walker Done Done's advice and look into getting some sort of power strip that help eliminate RF interfer. at the outlet.  But before you do anything let me verify what I've said with an engineer/amp technician, whom I know from my own experiences, wherein he modified a 65 reissue DR of mine.

Edit: Sorry, fellas, probably could have done without my merely repeating both of you by combining what each of you already said in your reply to the original post above.  At any rate, once I receive his reply, I'll post what Eric, the electrical engineer I mentioned, says about the issue of radio interference.