Main Menu

s

Started by Poster, August 30, 2008, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

s
i

cactuskeeb

I thought it worth mentioning that Paul L. told me several months ago, when I asked him about innerds of his guitars, that he "use[es] pretty standard stuff, 500k volume pot and a 250k tone pot with a .047pf capacitor."  The capacitor type will not matter in a guitar circuit; however, the value (.047, .022, .1, etc.) does affect the kind of sound one gets from manipulating the guitar's tone control.  Don't ask me exactly how the values make the tone control sound, or behave, differently -- I have no clue how one differs from the other, not having tried all of them myself.  Now, as far as Sozo "mustard" caps are concerned, they're primarily--if not exclusively, I thought, until tubedepot apparently told Robert otherwise--marketed to amp builders/manufacturers.  The problem with the hype surrounding them, as I see it, is the fact that they're *metalized*--and the only thing one needs to know, I think, about metalized caps is that they're made using construction techniques that were invented *after* the "golden age" of guitar amp building (1950-1967)--and thus for Sozo to claim, as they clearly do on their website, that these are authentic, vintage style caps, they're really not telling us the truth about their product.

cactuskeeb

:D  dude, whatever you're smoking, i beg you to send some my way.  lol.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on October 22, 2008, 11:22:22 AM
I bet if paul L started using them in Treys guitar you would  :P

:o :o

-- of course I would.

But honestly be careful with old pots as they tend to suffer the effects of heavy oxidization; unless you can really fix them by "greasing" them up (deoxit spray).  ;)