Main Menu

Quinn Amps

Started by Stiles12, July 08, 2008, 09:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

I have never heard of this guy, They seem to be point to point as I dont see a PCB, but I dont know all that much about the internals of amps. He has some really cool amps modeld after some really good lpayers, for instance SRV and Jimi. The cabs are loaded with tone tubbies and all the HArmony Central Reviews are really strong.

Any know anything about any of this.

http://www.quinnamp.com/sweetthunder.htm
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Poster

That looks neat but waaaaay too overpriced. You should be able to find an amp for well under 1k. And circuit boards arent that bad if they are done properly. Look at some of those 6 thousand dollar soldano's, they all have circuit boards in them, its just that they are top notch boards inspected one at a time with strict quality control. The tone tubbies are marked up about 20 percent here too.

Just google LOPO guitar cabinet. I got my birch 2x12 cabinet for 115 bucks and its nearly identical to a mesa boogie cab. Comes with switchcraft jacks and t nuts. Anyway, 1k+ for basically a plexi clone is a ripoff. I still think modded deville would be an great affordable fix for you...

cactuskeeb

I think both the "Derby" and "Sweet Thunder" are fantastic deals on excellent amps.  I hadn't seen this page until you gave us the link; having said that, the builder knows what he's doing, and I think the Derby, especially, is a steal for a little over a grand.  It's a carbon copy of a brownface deluxe.  I wouldn't go overboard with the speaker/cabinet options -- I agree with Poster in that it seems too much to pay for those tone tubbies; although, don't get the head by itself, of either model (Derby or Thunder), without either a tone tubbies or celestion (alnico) speaker, unless you find an Oxford on ebay.  I don't like 6L6 amps as much as I like 6v6; hence my overall preference for the Derby; 6L6 is just too Marshall-esque for me, not enough complexity in the tone to capture my attention.  The combo version of the Derby looks to be your best bet.  That's a great deal, especially after reading the site and listening to the clips; not a single corner is cut (at least, no corner that the builder doesn't know about -- but it doesn't really make a difference in this case so it's all good).  I mean, you can decide for yourself by listening to the Billy Breathes album all the way through because you're listening to a brownface deluxe the entire time...

Edit:
One more thing: if you do decide to get either the Derby or Thunder, get the 40 dollar carbon composition resistor "flavoring."  If you can get more than a flavoring, and you don't mind a little noise/hum, ask the builder about that possibility as well, especially if he could use military "mil spec" carbon film where he doesn't use carbon comp.

stringsinger

Ive got a quinn SDO Skyliner 2 with the HRM eq on the way. Should get here this week. Shad, the builder, is a really nice guy and definitely knows what hes doing. Ive talked to a handful of people that own his amps and everyone says they are great. People have told me his D clones stand up against some of the much higher priced ones around, even some of the Two Rocks.  I will let you know what I think when it gets here if anybody wants to hear a review.