Main Menu

My Blue Blew!

Started by GDCSH-1, August 12, 2009, 09:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDCSH-1

Well just what I was afraid of, my celestion blue in my deluxe blew after a year, I was in the middle of a jam, volume on my amp was at 5, using two pedals my comp, level at 12:00, and ts-9, level at 1:00, both pedals were on at the time and my volume on my guitar was close to all the way up about 8, I play at these levels a lot and never had a problem. In the middle of holding on to a high pitch bend my amp went from sounding amazing as it does to just a horrible scary distorted drowned sad sound within a couple seconds, the sound of the speaker failing, don't get me wrong I was pushin it with my level settings but once again I play at these settings all the time, my amp is usually on 4 or 5 and control the volume with my guitar. In the mean time I put the jensen back in temporarily while I scope out some speakers, (Weber or Tone Tubby), I dont have any mods done to the amp except a Mullard 12AT7 in V2 and Tung Sol power tubes.   
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

Walker done done

Quote from: GDCSH-1 on August 12, 2009, 09:16:58 AM
Well just what I was afraid of, my celestion blue in my deluxe blew after a year, I was in the middle of a jam, volume on my amp was at 5, using two pedals my comp, level at 12:00, and ts-9, level at 1:00, both pedals were on at the time and my volume on my guitar was close to all the way up about 8, I play at these levels a lot and never had a problem. In the middle of holding on to a high pitch bend my amp went from sounding amazing as it does to just a horrible scary distorted drowned sad sound within a couple seconds, the sound of the speaker failing, don't get me wrong I was pushin it with my level settings but once again I play at these settings all the time, my amp is usually on 4 or 5 and control the volume with my guitar. In the mean time I put the jensen back in temporarily while I scope out some speakers, (Weber or Tone Tubby), I dont have any mods done to the amp except a Mullard 12AT7 in V2 and Tung Sol power tubes.   

That sucks.  I'd contact Celestion and send it back.  I had my stock speaker in my HRD amp for years and abused the hell out of it and it never blew.  I just recently installed a Tone Tubby in my HRD and LOVE it so far.  I'd reco' it to you.  Good luck w/ Celestion.  If I were you, I'd get a live person on the phone, explain what happened, and if they're not willing to do anything for you, I'd simply tell them they just lost a number of customers for life.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

GDCSH-1

Well I'm going to attempt dealing with celetstion and see what they can do for me in regards to repairing my blue, I just cant let it go to waste, it was so nicely broken in to... stinks.  Considering my budget at the moment and a bit of research, Iv been zoning in on the Weber 12A150 Alnico 25 watt, for its recommended for fender amps and it being nearly $100 cheaper than the Tone Tubby. I am willing to spend the extra cash for the Tone Tubby but heres the question and my concern, would I be getting the full potential of the tone tubby, which is 40 watts, driven by my DR which is 22 watts? I dont want to have to turn my amp way up to obtain the speakers ideal tone level or sweet spot if you know what I mean. I also like to play clean at lower volumes too (amp volume at 3) and my blue was perfect for this. The 25 watt weber seems to make more sense to me in the aspect of wattage, but Im sure the tone tubby would sound amazing but may be less versitile being driven by 22 watts. Wut do u guys think??     

Poster

I think by getting anything rated at that low a wattage is a mistake. My broken in tone tubbies are wonderful at low volumes, and conversly, i can turn everything up to 12, play octave down, without them blasting out of the cabinet , and maiming someone. i even use a custom cathode drive control on my amp head and at lower wattage my tubbies sound great.

GDCSH-1

I jst checked the specs on the Jensen C12k that came with the DR, and it is rated at 100 watts so I think that answers the question I was concerned about, for some reason I thought the speaker wattage had to be the same or close to the wattage of the amp, obviously it dosn't considering the DR comes with a 100 w speaker, I think I was confusing wattage with ohms, my heads a little cloudy today, but anyhow my decision got easier, Im goin with the Tubby...