Just when I thought all the stupidity had begun to dissipate...

Started by cactuskeeb, November 30, 2009, 12:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

...LivePhish.com posts a message stating that FLAC "in HD" will now be served at 24bit/48KHz, instead of 24bit/96KHz...

If the non-HD, plain old FLAC is 44.1KHz, and the word-length 16bit, trust me, there's no upgrade in sound whatsoever..

- First of all, anything that goes beyond (read: greater than) 20bit will, at the same time, go beyond our biologically determined ability to perceive any further change (read: improvement) in sound and/or imaging of a greater-than or equal-to 20bit source..

-Second, it should be clear to us all that there's not much difference in going from 44.1KHz to 48KHz, particularly in comparison to going from 44.1KHz to 96KHz.  It is this latter difference, in nearly doubling the sample rate from 44.1 to 96KHz, that had previously represented what was indeed a substantial improvement in detail and resolution of the FLAC-HD, when commpared to the FLAC.  Now, however, with the FLAC-HD Fall tour in 24bit/48KHz, there's really not going to be any possibility of hearing something better than what's already there, for cheaper, in the form of standard, non-HD, FLAC files.

TheCrimsonKing

Maybe they're pissed so many people download it instead of buying it thus not really wanting to improve it very much?  Just a thought, don't know.

Poster

The only people who buy the official downloads either are too stupid to care about what they are paying for or dont know how to use the internet. As long as "HD" is in the title somewhere they will pay out the ass for it.

cactuskeeb

I resent anyone who--rather than pay 12 dollars every once in a while--would slooooooowly download off mediafire what some random, vanity-obsessed asshole purchased, encoded to mp3, and posted.

Poster

the etree tracker is where its at. ive got my select group of favorite tapers. damn they got some nice mics!

cactuskeeb

Yeah, I've got this one guy, he operates with 35,000 worth of gear in the form of a state-of-the-art digital sound board; and a bunch of vocal and instrument mics the band lets him set up in a meticulous sort of ritual, hours before every show, just so that he can get the best sound possible on his recordings.  Kinda sucks, though, cause unlike etree I gotta pay this guy 12 dollars.  On the up-side, he's got his own server that uses a very intuitive, java-controlled download system, allowing me to sit back and not have to click anything while my computer scoops up massive high-res audio files at an astonishing rate of speed.  Love this guy.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: posternutbag on November 30, 2009, 02:37:55 PM
The only people who buy the official downloads either are too stupid to care about what they are paying for or dont know how to use the internet. As long as "HD" is in the title somewhere they will pay out the ass for it.

haha unfortunately, im that guy  :'(
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue