Main Menu

Ross Clone

Started by rechemistry, October 26, 2008, 08:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rechemistry

Also, just bought a Ross clone from this guy a few months back - www.cmatmods.com -absolutely LOVE it. the price is right if any of you are looking for an amazing buttery, low excess noise, comp and can't afford the popular ones.

ColForbin

I have a Ross clone that I bought a while back from www.eroticfxpedals.com . It's pretty sweet sounding, he loves strippers and names his pedals after them.  An unhealthy obsession if you ask me, anyways, has anybody else tried his pedals?  The "Candi Comp" in particular??  I wonder how it compares with the CMatMods version.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Poster

Whats funny is that Ive tried ^ the xotic stipper comp, and orginal Ross comp (unmodded), and the CMATMODS comp along with my hand made #2 bone squeeze and I eventually decided to not use one at all! Heres the deal, my amp is so amazing I dont need a compressor to get those tones. After a certain amount of gain my signal starts to get butter squeeze sounds....
   I think when I used fender amps I enjoyed the way the compressor played with the head room. But my mark knopfler head doesnt need it. Weird I know, but its true. I think its to do with my MK head being 45 watts but hell who really knows with the 3 triode switches and a custom circuit.
   I liked all three of the comps, the xotic, ross, and bone squeeze. The reason probably has to do with a ross circuit being a pretty basic circuit to copy and most any compressor claiming to be "transparent" is probably cloning some or all of the ross comp circuits. So IMO just buy whichever (cmat, xotic) is cheaper IF your sporting a fender amp/mesa boogie amp.
  If youve ever listened to mark knopfler you can hear he obviously uses lots of compression on his guitar tone. Thus, Iam guessing this amp designed for him has been made with that in mind. The compression in the headroom is very noticeable and when I stuck an OD>COMP in front of it was like throwing a quilt over my amp. SO, to get those comp tones I had to think the opposite direction. I took out my second overdrive pedal and compressor. So 1 overdrive with the gain set to about 3 on the head, then I got a passive FET buffer/clean boost made from NOS components that basically drives my overdrive a little louder. Therefore, I have 3 overdrives, one on the amp for my clean tone, a clean boost to get breakup after my wah and before my overdrive, and my boutique overdrive after the FET/boost. BAM nail all those tones from Trey and Mark.

ColForbin

Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

Happyorange27

Poster, yes nice post above.  Is that why you are called poster, cuz you like to post?  Bad joke.  Anyway since you dig Knopfler so much, I started checking him out recently and I really dig his timbre.  I'm going to download a bunch of his shows from SugarMegs.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Quote from: rechemistry on October 26, 2008, 08:09:50 PM
Also, just bought a Ross clone from this guy a few months back - www.cmatmods.com -absolutely LOVE it. the price is right if any of you are looking for an amazing buttery, low excess noise, comp and can't afford the popular ones.

So at this point, i'm looking to purchase the deluxe compressor from cmatmods.  Probably the best way to go right?
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

ColForbin

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 11, 2010, 09:32:12 AM
Quote from: rechemistry on October 26, 2008, 08:09:50 PM

So at this point, i'm looking to purchase the deluxe compressor from cmatmods.  Probably the best way to go right?

If I were you I would buy the cmatmods and the only reason I say that is customer service.  I'm sure that compressor and mine (posted above) are pretty much the same deal, but Chad (cmat) is a super guy and will give you great attention as a customer of his.  Erotic fx have the worst customer service that I have ever had to deal with.  He's brutal.  While your there, take a look at his other stuff too.  I have the signa drive and it is a super versatile od pedal and I also have his Deeelay which is a very sweet sounding delay pedal as well.

Long story short, Chad Matthews (cmatmods) is a quality builder and a stellar individual with excellent customer service.
Current rig: 

Happyorange27

Thanks Col, it's a done deal in my mind.

Poster

We just bought my guitar player a BBE Bench Press, and for 70 bucks, its pretty great.

If you dont feel like shelling 120 or whatever, just get one of those. Cheap, sounds pretty good, works like a top.

ColForbin

I like BBE's stuff, I use their Soul Vibe which is fantastic.  The only thing you need to watch is that BBE's stuff is not true bypass, it is true hard-wired bypass", which isn't the same thing.  So if you are a true bypass nut when it comes to your compressor, be careful.  But again, I use my soul vibe and I don't believe the true hard wired bypass really is an issue.  I don't believe it causes a noise issue in my chain at all.  Here's an article I found about the difference between the two:

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/501
Current rig: