The Influence of Little Feat

Started by raisingfreen, November 02, 2010, 04:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Let me start by saying that while I have listened to "some" Little Feat albums over the past 10 or so years, I had not explored their catalog in too much depth. After a full listen to the Waiting for Columbus (the 27 song iTunes version) it is crystal clear the influence they have on not only Phish but (to my ears) Trey's overall guitar style as well. It's all over the place within the timing signatures, grooves, basslines, keys, etc... Even a few of their more recent tunes sound as if they were influenced by them.

That said, I imagine everyone else on here already was aware of this and its old news. I just love how listening to one band can open your horizons into so many other great bands, dead or alive. Phish has introduced me to music that I would have walked right past in the music aisle. I went from listening to semi heavy bands in early high school (fugazi, minor threat, dead kennedys, "you know skateboarding music" etc...) to hearing LLama and my mind was blown. Next thing you know I stopped wearing all black and pulled my f#$ing pants up and got my groove on!

This ever happen to anyone else? or were most already in the in know (so to speak).
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Walker done done

Couldn't have said it better myself 'freen.  No really, I actually have nothing to add to that statement, it pretty much covered it entirely.  I am eternily grateful to Phish for the things you just mentioned.

I came away from AC feeling Phish had nailed the album.  Actually that's kinda ridiculous to say since I have never listened to it, lol.  But of the songs I did know (about 6 or so), I felt they did an amazing job.  I'll be honest, Little Feat wasn't in my top 3 choices but it was very well played.  I'll continue being honest and say that I wish it had been a little more "oomphy", if you know what I mean.  I guess, to my own fault, I was hoping for a real rager of a musical costume.  Like blow the roof off-type rager.  It came off a little lackluster, like the energy never really peaked.  Then again it's all perspective too, and maybe mine was out of sorts due to my hopes.  I dunno, maybe it was where we were sitting that had something to do with it; the sound in that venue wasn't all that great and I've heard similar recounts from others.  I definitely felt disconnected at times and remember being in the moment and feeling a little unfulfilled.  Ah well; it was a great experience nonetheless and am excited to listen back to the recording.  For the record, we were Page side, not even half way down, and not even half way up.  Weird sound.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

ShockedAndPersuaded

Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Stiles12

I agree with you walker...

The sound there was a little strange, had an echo like the place wasnt filled, yet it was packed... I was on the floor for the second and third show so I didnt hear it to much the last two days. but the first day I was in the 100's on the side and it was very obvious.

Thought the album was awesome... not my first choice album but after I left feeling great (was hoping for Hot Rats, and was so happy with the zeppelin on saturday squashing physical graph)

anyway spainish moon was the song of the night of course, and gordon hitting those ivorys on willin was fun to see as well... whoel album was great and had an awesome weekend
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

You know you're right - after listening to much of it last night I was blown away by how much better it sounded, and subsequently pissed that I didn't spearhead a campaign with the folks I was with to make a serious change in our locale.  Damn.  As usual, the floor was the place to be, but I am very surprised at the gap in sound between the different sections of the venue.  I hope they never play there again (I certainly won't attend).  Plus, in the end it's still New Jersey......I guess I shouldn't be surprised (sorry, couldn't resist taking a shot at the Armpit of America!)  I'm blaming the Yankees for my malcontent as well.  When all else fails, blame the Yankees.

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.