So whats everyone using for a virtual amp simulator?

Started by phishlips, March 01, 2011, 12:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phishlips

Hey guys, I'm interested in just being able to record some guitar ideas when I get em and either burn them to a disc or email them to bandmates.  Anybody know of a program that does this without having to spend too much on accessories or the program itself?  Thanks
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

Poster

just get a blue usb mic, and use a free program like audacity.

jadirusso

I've been using the voice memos on my iphone to capture ideas when I have them. If you have a mac you can use garage band which comes with the OS but you need a mic pre-amp to get mic input to work well.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

Happyorange27

Quote from: jadirusso on March 01, 2011, 01:14:00 PM
I've been using the voice memos on my iphone to capture ideas when I have them. If you have a mac you can use garagband which comes with the OS but you need a mic pre-amp to get mic input to work well.

I second that.  Iphone is pretty freaking handy.  I get inspired, i pull out my phone and hit record.  I just make sure I put it in a location that isn't clipping on the UV meter which is conveniently visible the entire time.  Then I can simply share on email or YouTube if it was a video I was shooting.  Any of my YouTube demos were done this way and you can see the quality.

As far as amp simulators, I use my GNX4 Digitech workstation.  Not great for best tone ever but great for 8 track recording using your feet then just pull the Flash card or hook up to PC using usb cable and drag and drop .wav file into cheap o software and your there.  Now that's an investment for the unit but it's paid for itself in the hundreds of samples I've laid down on it.  Oh it has mic and instrument inputs as well.  There are a handful of amp and cabinet configurations to grab or customize.

Again all of that is more for ideas, but not necessarily for your authentic performance.  However I've performed with the unit and it's fine for an amateur like me (or at least before I got a real freaking amp). 

Cheers,
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

Digitech jamman is great for recording ideas. USB out to your computer to burn cd's. They are already in wav. format so there is no need to convert files or anything.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

phishlips

Ok, thanks guys for the tips.  I just want the most simple set up to grab ideas and be able to send them to the guys to work on at their leisure.  Maybe I should just stick to the webcam that I have and send them video's that way.  I'm soo tired of ideas getting away from me for lack of a convenient way of getting them recorded somehow.  Thanks again.
G&L ASAT lately into- RMC3, modded ts7, modded ts9, ibanez delay, ross compressor, boss tuner, fender super.  lots of other stuff but thats the meat and potatoes.

Stiles12

SPL Transducer is what I am using... I have used a lot of sims and nothing comes close.

I just moved away from my band to an apartment and cant set up my rig into a speaker... the transducer really does what it says... very good product, highly recomended for a various of different reasons, silent recording, speaker and mic simulation, sends to the Pa, and monitors.

expensive but worth it.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer