Going back to the GCB-95 Wha

Started by strangedesign, March 29, 2008, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangedesign

I have had my RMC3 Tease Wha for about a year now and I have never got it to sound worth a shit. The other day I pulled my old GCB-95 out of hibernation and put it in my rig. It sounds allsome compared to the RMC3! I bought this thing when I was in college. it has been through some rough times. Beer, mud and rain to say the least. I have a couple problems though. The switch is about gone on it and sounds like the pots are probably pretty dirty and/or corroted. I want to have somebody work on it but not sure who to go to. I want to replace the switch with a true bypass switch, add a gain knob so I can adjust the volume a little bit and just clean it up. Who would you recomend letting do these upgrades and repairs?
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

Dude.....garmopat mods.  Just too that thing back in the closet and get one for $200 from Gary.  You won't regret it.  If you are inistant on keeping it though, throw a line out to him to see if he'll mod it for you.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

strangedesign

Actually they are only $120. I;m gonna see what he would charge me to mod one.
http://www.garmopatmods.com/wahs.html

Here are the proces for the mods if I send my wha to him...

Standard mod (you send your pedal to us) : true bypass , non adjustable voicing / tone mods , detail , adjust and re-lube  - $55 (USPS priority return mail included ) 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adjustable trimmers : to have the ability to tweak the Q (voice), midrange , volume , bass/gain , mounted on the board - $40             
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New pot : 100k Fulltone or 200k Pro Pot - $30
Toggles : mounted underneath the rocker for bass sweep options or battery kill switch ..no need to unplug to preserve battery life  - $20 (each)             
Blue LED : mounted on either side towards the front - $20             
DC jack : filtered ,regulated and overvoltage protected standard style jack is located according to user preference , all components are neatly mounted on circuitboard - $20
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fasel inductor  : Red = modern style /tone , Yellow = vintage - $35             
Dual inductors : Thicker, full and rich tone ! Non selectable using stock inductors - $30 , selectable from one to two in series with toggle - $45
Dual Inductors Selectable $45.00

Non Selectable $30.00

Thanks!!!
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

I am playing my gcb 95 too. I was wondering does anyone know if you can increase the range of the wah by yourself at home or do i have to send that thing in somewhere to get it done professionally. It looks like you might be able too not sure though.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Right....but to buy a Vox from him that's already modded is $200.  Either way, utilize him because you'll be creaming.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Strange, you already have all that (the garmopat mods) and more in the RMC3.  If you were to get one from Garmopat, essentially you would be getting an RMC3 but with less features and poorer quality (no-name) components.  Now, I know Brian insists Trey's wah is a stock -- albeit, hand-picked -- GCB from Dunlop; nevertheless, let's at least consider what Geoffrey Teese says about Trey's purchase of the RMC3:

"Phannattic
Nov 28 2004, 12:17 AM
Anyone have an idea of Trey Anastasio's RMC3 settings?

Also, does he have a stock RMC3, with exception to the casing?

Geoffrey Teese
Nov 28 2004, 12:42 AM
Hi,
Trey bought a stock black cased RMC3 many years ago at RUDY'S MUSIC STOP in NYC. I've never spoken with him and don't know what tuning(s) he uses.

Peace, Love, and Wah,
Geoffrey"

It would appear, therefore, that Trey did in fact purchase a GCB-95; and it's likely that, back then, the wah wasn't advertising the fact that it was a "Teese wah."  Probably, what was for sale was technically a GCB-95 wah, period.  Nonetheless, at the very least, it must have been exhibited by Rudy's music personel as being somewhat of a special GCB, one that sounded particularly good.

Who's to say that both Brian and Trey have ever actually changed the settings inside the thing; or, what's more likely, how do we know that they don't assume that all GCB's are tunable like this one, which, I would argue, cannot be anything but an RMC3?

I haven't messed with my RMC3 much since I got it (two months ago).  However, I'm going to go out on a limb, a sturdy one IMO, and say that when I get the time (give me a month) I'll prove it to ya'll that the RMC3 is the only wah sophisticated enough to be Trey's wah.

sour d

Has anybody come up with some good settings for the rmc3 yet? I just got one and I'm being a bit lazy. Oh, there was a point in time where teese was using stock vox and crybaby cases because of a problem with his supplier of cases.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on March 30, 2011, 06:10:14 PM
Oh, there was a point in time where teese was using stock vox and crybaby cases because of a problem with his supplier of cases.

Interesting tid bit ya got there, mate  ???

Loop 3 Boomerang+