Analogmans Bi-Com
MXR Script Reissue Dyna comp
and my Grey Ross

Can't live without the Grey Ross!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: IamWILSON on July 25, 2011, 09:31:45 PM
This is all very interesting.  I wish I could have sent my old 2-knob Keeley Comp to Walker for the showdown.  However I use it all the time and would have missed it soarly.  Mine was made in '02 before he added any extra controls, even on the inside of the pedal you can't adjust the clipping or attack.  I tested it side by side with a friends 4 knob and liked my 2-knob better and prevented me from sending it to Keeley to switch out for the newer board with more controls.  I really would love to get my hands on the grey Ross to see if it is that much of a difference still.  I guess the only way to really be satisfied with your tone is to measure it against all other options and hear it for yourself.  Anyway, thanks Walker for the motivation to continue the search for a grey Ross.

Don't thank me, thank SourD! 

And I just hope you don't find one before I do!!! ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

patrickstefanski

I have had tried 2 comps.  

Analogmans Bi-Comp
Grey Ross

Nothing touches the Ross.

In a UNrelated note, I am selling a Ross BiComprossor which is THE BEST COMPRESSOR EVER, PLEASE BUY IT FROM ME
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Happyorange27

Quote from: patrickstefanski on July 26, 2011, 02:10:29 PM
I have had tried 2 comps.  

Analogmans Bi-Comp
Grey Ross

Nothing touches the Ross.

In a UNrelated note, I am selling a Ross BiComprossor which is THE BEST COMPRESSOR EVER, PLEASE BUY IT FROM ME

You didn't go to marketing school did you :P
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

sour d

Here's one on ebay. This is where things get funny though. When analogman mods a black box ross to grey specs he changes the metal can caps to tantalum. If you look at the pic of the board on this original grey ross it has metal can caps. You have to remember that these pedals were like $39 dollars new and were regarded as cheap mxr knock offs. Only when the kansas factory could't keep up with demand did they start making them in taiwan (black box). The circuit remained the same. The cap values remained the same. Just the type of cap was different. But if you look at the pic in this ebay auction, you can see they were using different cap types  even when they were built in Kansas. My grey ross that walker tried has the tantalum caps so when walker goes shopping for a grey ross, he should ask for board pics to ensure that is the version he is getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROSS-GRAY-COMPRESSOR-REDUCED-/150635174722?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item23128e5b42

I posted some board pics a while back and there is a pic of the grey ross with thae tantalums
http://strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=1565.msg7771#msg7771
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

IamWILSON

Quote from: sour d on July 26, 2011, 03:23:45 PM
Here's one on ebay. This is where things get funny though. When analogman mods a black box ross to grey specs he changes the metal can caps to tantalum. If you look at the pic of the board on this original grey ross it has metal can caps. You have to remember that these pedals were like $39 dollars new and were regarded as cheap mxr knock offs. Only when the kansas factory could't keep up with demand did they start making them in taiwan (black box). The circuit remained the same. The cap values remained the same. Just the type of cap was different. But if you look at the pic in this ebay auction, you can see they were using different cap types  even when they were built in Kansas. My grey ross that walker tried has the tantalum caps so when walker goes shopping for a grey ross, he should ask for board pics to ensure that is the version he is getting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROSS-GRAY-COMPRESSOR-REDUCED-/150635174722?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item23128e5b42

I posted some board pics a while back and there is a pic of the grey ross with thae tantalums
http://strangedesign.org/forums/index.php?topic=1565.msg7771#msg7771

So are the tantalum caps the one to have?  Do the metal caps matter?  And perhaps I'm a little slow, but from the picture of the Ross on Ebay, which "cap" or whatever am I looking for to see a difference?  I'm obviously the last person to ask for electrical advice.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

IamWILSON

There was a grey Ross comp that sold on Ebay the other day for only $247.50.  Hopefully one of you guys won it!  I was in bidding and forgot to raise my bid up from 245 before I left for work.  My heart sank when I saw what it went for, I would've bid up to 275 but forgot because it was a really busy/hectic day for me!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Walker done done

Quote from: IamWILSON on July 29, 2011, 08:55:20 PM
There was a grey Ross comp that sold on Ebay the other day for only $247.50.  Hopefully one of you guys won it!  I was in bidding and forgot to raise my bid up from 245 before I left for work.  My heart sank when I saw what it went for, I would've bid up to 275 but forgot because it was a really busy/hectic day for me!

Damn, I missed that too.  :-[
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27

Check out this "Russ" compressor on ebay.  Looks quality.  Tempted to try it out for shits and giggles without investing too much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ross-Gray-Compressor-Clone-/170673854063?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27bcf4566f#ht_1720wt_1140
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

IamWILSON

I just got myself a grey ross compressor late last night (1 am PST) that was only up on Ebay for a couple hours, starting at $199, but with "buy it now" for $279.  Had to pull the trigger!  I've always said I'll never pay more than $300 for one and this seemed like the best opportunity to actually achieve success. 

Then shortly after doing this I found out that some of the grey compressor were made it Taiwan, which kind of bummed me out, especially b/c I've seen the black ones go for even cheaper!   However, doing some research on Trey's gear, both his old one (off of the CAE video) and his newer one (prostaraudio page) have the box around the ROSS logo like the one I purchased which apparently is made in Taiwan.  Needless to say, I'm excited and already impatiently waiting for it to arrive and see how it affects my tone.  And even more excited because I leave town on Monday for Phish tour!

sour d

Quote from: IamWILSON on August 01, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
I just got myself a grey ross compressor late last night (1 am PST) that was only up on Ebay for a couple hours, starting at $199, but with "buy it now" for $279.  Had to pull the trigger!  I've always said I'll never pay more than $300 for one and this seemed like the best opportunity to actually achieve success. 

Then shortly after doing this I found out that some of the grey compressor were made it Taiwan, which kind of bummed me out, especially b/c I've seen the black ones go for even cheaper!   However, doing some research on Trey's gear, both his old one (off of the CAE video) and his newer one (prostaraudio page) have the box around the ROSS logo like the one I purchased which apparently is made in Taiwan.  Needless to say, I'm excited and already impatiently waiting for it to arrive and see how it affects my tone.  And even more excited because I leave town on Monday for Phish tour!
Nice job. Post a pic of the board when you get it if you would.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

IamWILSON

"Nice job. Post a pic of the board when you get it if you would."

Sure thing!  It'll most likely have to wait until after I get back from the Chicago shows as I will be very busy up until I leave for 11 days of tour.