Your Influences and where do you want to go

Started by manicstarseed, September 02, 2011, 05:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicstarseed

This may belong in "Introduce yourself" section because its a getting to know you piece. Mods, Feel free to move it if it makes sense to do so.

Yeah, I'm here because I love the music of Phish and Trey. Its a safe assumption that we all share that particular passion to one degree or another about one member or another.
However my music and guitar playing is informed by many guitarist and styles. Again it is safe to assume we all have the same proclivities in varying influences.

I would like to know where everyone is at and read about what they love to play. Like I said....Its a getting to know you thing...

The question I pose to everyone is:
"Which 5 musician do you most want to integrate into your playing and why?"... I know this can change over time,  but where are you at, today?

In order:
Trey Anastasio - Masterful combination of technical expression, theoretical knowledge and playfulness are a Holy Grail for my playing.
Jerry Garcia - Sincerely heartfelt expression. Modal fluidity. Improvisational prowess.
David Gilmore - articulate, graceful crescendos.  Epic-ness, taste
Jimmy Page - Riff master extraordinaire. Heavy Blues
Eric Clapton - Taste, accessible melodys. Blues

The rest - This is not an easy question... I love to play Dicky Betts parts of the Almann Bros, Bobby Weir is a masterful rhythm player. I love Yes and Steve Howe the list goes on. To be honest, only the top three are certain, JP is there because I cut my teeth w/ Zeppelin and know many tunes so he is a certain influence.

Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Danny41

Hey manicstar, im danny. ive just started to seriously listen to phish/play phish on the guitar only this past summer. i must say, it started out as a hobby and has ended up more like a disease!

I know this may anger some other phans out there, but I must say that I really like the new Phish (since Joy). Not only are the new songs they put out fun and catchy, but the way they sound live for every song they play is phenomenal! It just sounds different to me than their old stuff, but I still really like it. It's very clean and sophisticated, which goes well in contrast to Phish's silly lyrics and style. That being said, I also really enjoy everything phish has put out (particularly the mid to late nineties).

In order:
Trey Anastasio -- by far number one. over 30 years later and still has the nads to play the way he does. major props. plus, the tone of his jams is of another planet.
Jimmy Page -- no brainer
SRV -- its always the same stuff with SRV, but thats okay cuz he melts face.
Charlie Christian/Wes Montgomery -- I like a lot of the jazz guitar, and try to incorporate it into everything I do
Alexi Murdoch/Nick Drake -- this is the curve ball that even threw me for a loop. But hey, I love acoustic guitar as much as the electric jams, and these guys are SO good. (of course, I try to sound like them on the acoustic, not during a jam sesh on the electric)

Hope that gives you a little about me! Glad to meet you