Main Menu

Furman Power Factor Pro

Started by Walker done done, December 10, 2008, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

A friend & well-respected guitarist swears by it.  Said it's so good & important to him that he'd pay $500 for a new one if he lost or broke his.  I'll be (hopefully) trying his out this week or next to see for myself, but he says everyone that's tried it thus far has said something to the effect of "I never knew my gear could sound that good". 

So my question to you guys is: have you had any experience with the Furman Power Factor Pro?

They list for $389, but I've found 2 sites selling them for $289.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

is it a rack conditioner? they make different levels of conditioners depending on what you using it for. personally, i use a the flat front furman with an ART 4x4 underneath it as a backup. of course I swap out new fuses every 5 shows er so and Ive never needed to use my backup ART. from the conditioner my power runs into a 300 steel power strip which also has its own fuse and isolated outputs, which runs into my pedal power conditioner the BBE supacharger. so basically, a backup, for a backup, for a backup, for a backup. my gear never fails. the show must go on.

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

It's arrived, I've had a few days to play through it, and it's safe to say it does what it's intended to do.  I've got both my amp & p-board plugged into it, and I have started to notice a much cleaner controlled sound when playing through it.  That's the initial reaction after about 9 hours playing time.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

meh IMO you shouldve just gotten a pair of BBE's and the furman rack. Woulda saved you time and money. Does the exact same thing.

Armenian Man

can you explain the bbe's please!  I am looking at getting this going in my rig...thanks boys

Poster

um iam going to be brief,

FURMAN shit is over priced.

If you want to get into really practical power solutions, you need to ensure that you are powering everything with clean power.

NO FUCKING POWER CONDITIONER IS GOING TO DO THAT.

You need a device that filters out radio interference, surge spikes, lightning interference, grounds, and isolates each outlet. If you dig around on ebay, you can buy a TRUE hand made conditioner for about 370 bucks.

Otherwise, simply get an aluminum power strip, and use an isolated PEDAL power supply like a BBE supacharger. But AGAIN, none of that shit matters, unless what the BBE is plugged into clean power.

and again

Those fucking conditioners at guitar center, made by ART, Furman, Monster Etc are all pieces of shit, and they arent true power conditioners. A true power conditioner uses an internal transformer, preferably, a huge one. You cant fit that shit in a 1u rackmount sorry!

Phish uses these beastly true conditioners, same with Panic, etc etc. Its the only way to guarantee no power problems no matter where the hell you are.

Poster

Here is a small version of what iam talking about. If you have a big band, use lights or whatever, youll need a bigger one than this. But for a bass player and a guitar player this is plenty http://cgi.ebay.com/TRUE-ISOLATION-AC-POWER-CONDITIONER-NOISE-CANCEL-FILTER-/110553634909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bd82985d#ht_5786wt_907

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

picture_of_nectar

Hey Poster,

I went ahead and took your recomendation on that power conditioner and bought one!

Had a conversation with the owner of the company (he insisted we talk before buying). And he wanted to know exactly what I was using it for. I think he just wanted to let me know that it won't cut out single coil hum or natural tube humming. He said if our goal is to play bars or clubs then this is the perfect unit. And he stressed the importance of testing outlet voltage before plugging in. All in all it was a great eBay experience and he said to call him back with any questions on power.   

The thing is burly, weighs about 30lbs and is bigger then it looks in the photos.

Maybe it's just me but I swear my rig sounds better with it. So anyway, thanks man for the suggestion. 
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Can anyone give me some followup feedback on there power conditioning/supply situation.  Do you all still swear by these things?  What's the best bang for the buck?  What sucks?  What rules?  Thanks.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Yes.

See first post.  I swear by the Power Factor Pro.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Happyorange27

Roger that.  I figure after all this time you would have some concrete opinions.  Thanks homey.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Walker done done

Quote from: Happyorange27 on November 01, 2011, 01:50:50 PM
Roger that.  I figure after all this time you would have some concrete opinions.  Thanks homey.

It's a great unit that gives full protection.  Even if you're playing with spotty power (i.e. a generator, etc.) it will let you know if the voltage is too high, and if it is, the unit will shut itself off completely before allowing it to reach your pedals.

Loop 3 Boomerang+