Please, a little help guitarist to guitarist

Started by Danny41, August 29, 2011, 09:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exactly what arpeggios does Trey use?

What can I do to make my solos more interesting?
0 (0%)
How can I incorporate them into MY soloing?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Lol - I can be unintentionally long winded and Fridays are slow at work!

I had a few ideas and they seemed to integrate with each other, I hope I made sense, but I think it is something that helps me tie the harmonic and melodic aspects together.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

IamWILSON

I have subscribed to that kind of theory about a year ago that Heady was talking about.  I do not approach any of it as far as viewing the scales though, as it really helps to do this stuff by just concentrating on maj, min, dim, and aug triads and how they work across 2-string and 3-string sets.  And you MUST know your fretboard really well!  But it pays off as it becomes easy to always play a melodic line based off the chord tones of the harmony being played, as well as being able to impose a different triad over the chord being playing that allows you to play in the upper structure or extensions of the harmony and also play some altered tones for the desired dissonance and consonance that is tension and release.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

This reminds me of a brief lecture I went to related to writing melodic lines. The instructor focused on Beatles melodies and suggested a theory for duplicating the process. While it is unlikely the Beatles thought this way, it is helpful for those who don't whistle a hook to a new top-5 every morning. It just involves writing out each note to the chord progression and connecting a note from the first chord to the second and so on with the least number of steps between the notes possible. A little off the topic of the thread, but seems related to the direction it took. I don't practice this, it seems quite contrived, but maybe I would write better melodies if I gave it some thought.

PS - along with playing scales diagonally, like across a few strings, I think learning how they fit together is really helpful - like I mentioned going from a minor pentatonic to one a fifth above could be an example. But even more so would be the same idea as the CAGED system - learning all the shapes of the scales (pentatonic included) up and down the neck, how one fits with the next, the practicing switching from one shape to the next on different strings - I found that pretty quickly lets you get from one end to the next.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9