Adamas Graphite

Started by Heady Jam Fan, June 23, 2012, 03:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Just got some Adamas Graphite picks from Dunlop and I am pretty impressed.

I ordered 2 weeks ago, they shipped to the wrong address and when I emailed yesterday, they apologized and overnighted them to me so I got them today. Not only that, they included a second bag of picks free!

Their shipping charge is ridiculous, even for ground it was $7-10 depending on the service you pick. I cannot believe it costs them that much to ship a bag of picks - they really ought to raise the price of the picks and cut down on the shipping; a pack of 12 shipped was about $24, which is $2 each - a lot more than a pack of tortex, but less than boutique picks.

Speaking of boutique picks, I have been using Gravity Picks - I got one two for free when they were doing a promotion and one free when I order an ABY from Dan at T1M. IIRC, these run about $5, I have been using their standard size 3mm and it is great, really doesn't seem to wear out at all and the material is pretty "grippy." Their sizes are a bit odd, seeming either bigger or smaller than than a typical pick depending on which size you order. I preferred their smaller (I believe it is their standard size) and thicker ones (the other two are 2mm, one is the large and too big, the other is the same size as the one I usually use). They make a bit more string noise than a Tortex, but the feel and tone makes it worth while (I usually use a 2mm on my acoustic because of this).

The Adamas are 2mm and feel a bit thin to me, but they are very rigid so its not a problem, just a matter of getting used to it. They are also the same size as a typical pick which feels kinda silly big too me, but I suspect I just have to get used to that again as well (it took me a while to get used to the smaller size of the Gravity picks). The material is more slippery than the Gravity picks, but they have graphics imprinted on them, so I think that balances out my ability to grip them. They have more bite and articulation than the Gravity picks, kind of a clearer top-end, which I really liked.

These are great picks and I think it is worth $24 or so for a bag of 12 - this many Gravity picks would have cost $60 (though they are handmade so that is a reasonable price). I think their overpriced shipping probably surprises people and stops them from purchasing.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on June 23, 2012, 03:42:12 PM
Just got some Adamas Graphite picks from Dunlop and I am pretty impressed.

I ordered 2 weeks ago, they shipped to the wrong address and when I emailed yesterday, they apologized and overnighted them to me so I got them today. Not only that, they included a second bag of picks free!

Their shipping charge is ridiculous, even for ground it was $7-10 depending on the service you pick. I cannot believe it costs them that much to ship a bag of picks - they really ought to raise the price of the picks and cut down on the shipping; a pack of 12 shipped was about $24, which is $2 each - a lot more than a pack of tortex, but less than boutique picks.

Speaking of boutique picks, I have been using Gravity Picks - I got one two for free when they were doing a promotion and one free when I order an ABY from Dan at T1M. IIRC, these run about $5, I have been using their standard size 3mm and it is great, really doesn't seem to wear out at all and the material is pretty "grippy." Their sizes are a bit odd, seeming either bigger or smaller than than a typical pick depending on which size you order. I preferred their smaller (I believe it is their standard size) and thicker ones (the other two are 2mm, one is the large and too big, the other is the same size as the one I usually use). They make a bit more string noise than a Tortex, but the feel and tone makes it worth while (I usually use a 2mm on my acoustic because of this).

The Adamas are 2mm and feel a bit thin to me, but they are very rigid so its not a problem, just a matter of getting used to it. They are also the same size as a typical pick which feels kinda silly big too me, but I suspect I just have to get used to that again as well (it took me a while to get used to the smaller size of the Gravity picks). The material is more slippery than the Gravity picks, but they have graphics imprinted on them, so I think that balances out my ability to grip them. They have more bite and articulation than the Gravity picks, kind of a clearer top-end, which I really liked.

These are great picks and I think it is worth $24 or so for a bag of 12 - this many Gravity picks would have cost $60 (though they are handmade so that is a reasonable price). I think their overpriced shipping probably surprises people and stops them from purchasing.

The shipping price is a bit nuts, but what you get is a quality product that doesn't wear down like other picks.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Yea, I was thinking they seemed like they wouldn't wear down, but after a few hours, I have no personal experience.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Happyorange27

Also a quick Derail:  I'm going to Phish tonight a Blossom!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Poster

the pick boy canna and telefunkins are better imo. grip and edge.

IamWILSON

I don't remember their shipping being that expensive.  Pretty sure it was like $3.50 or something when I ordered a couple bags, but that was probably almost 2 years ago.  Did they still offer USPS shipping?  They do wear down, but its a slow and fairly even wear and tear so one pick can be used for a long time - well in my own personal experience anyway. 

I've been interested in trying the telefunkins, but the Adamas are doing fine for me, and I don't need to buy any more picks now.  Also, the grip (logo/design) on the Adamas kinda bugged me at first, but now I feel weird when I grab a different pick without it!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Poster

The pick boys have a huge cannabis leaf on um. Feels good in my hands for some reason

Heady Jam Fan

I saw Telefunkens for sale on ebay, but I wanted to try Adamas first, never heard of Pick Boy.