Main Menu

My amp's gotta go

Started by Walker done done, November 12, 2008, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

After spending the last 2.5 weeks w/ a friends Delux Reverb, my HotRod Delux has got to go.  Not sure what I'm going w/ yet, but it's headed in the clean direction.  After going back to the HotRod & realizing how much more control I had while using the Delux Reverb, I can't go back. 
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

YouEnjoyMyReba

I just got a Deluxe Reverb and was very impressed but had to take it back because it started making a crackling kinda noise.  It was within the first month of the warranty so i got a brand new one on the spot.  However its been about 2 months now and the crackling noise has returned.  I dont play gigs at the moment and have only moved my amp twice since the buy.  Anybody know what can be causing the noise? I've been reading these forums and can tell you guys know what your talking about so your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Poster

you should totally get a hand made copy of an old fender reverb tube amp. those accutronics tanks sound pretty good in the brown face clones Ive heard. if youve got a good store with a big used selection Id recommend foraging through old tube amp heads until you find one that works. the old mesa boogies sound excellent, old plexi marshall heads sound excellent too, but there are too many to list. just go out an play through as many as you can, buying a fender deluxe reissue is not going to make you sound like trey or something. all of his stuff has been heavily modified...

cactuskeeb

Don't get a deluxe reverb reissue.  If I were you I would drop a load on one of the used DR's on ebay and give Bill Carruth a call (I have his phone #, just message me).

Edit: I just finished browsing the ebay listings for '64-'68 DR's -- don't go for any of them; at least, not without consulting me first.  There is at least one on there right now that is not a real '67 but a reconstruction - albeit an artful one, if that counts for anything.