Adapters like the OneSpot and PowerAll for use with Whammy II

Started by raisingfreen, June 24, 2009, 09:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Just curious if anyone else using one of these PowerAll type devices where you can run all your effects through one power plug. Till now it has worked great with my limited amount of pedals. When I tried to use  the Whammy II with the green adapter (fits the Whammy) for it, all I got was hum. Does the Whammy II take a specific 9volt adapter that is that different? It mentions it takes 9v~780mA. I have one that fits and powers up the Whammy just fine. Still just hum. The dry channel sends sound though however so I think it may be something else. Also, if the calibration steps have been discussed already could some one point me to the right place so I can reset the Whammy II to factory default?

Any help would be great. I just got the Whammy II and am looking forward to playing with it a bit. Hope I don't have to send it back due to a problem.

Thanks.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

raisingfreen

I may have just figured this out. It seems the onespot and powerall only do DC power not AC which the whammy appears to need. I just hope I did not ruin the Whammy II by plugging it in with the DC adapter. Anyone else ever do this?

Poster

yes that can ruin your whammy. dont use one spots, they commonly create a ground loop hum, you need isolated power. i would recommend a BBE super charger, and ordering a new standard digitech replacement wart for your whammy. any cheaper wart replacements on ebay have proven to be unreliable for gigs in my experience.

mcgrupperton

oh wow. that's where that is coming from. I always wonder on the quality of the daisy chain type power supplies.

raisingfreen

Thanks for the tip. I obtained the correct adapter and the whammy is functioning perfectly. I do still use the Power-All for the basic pedals, Tuner>TS9>Keeley Comp>RV3 etc... I have never noticed a bit of noise with any of them using the Power-All with the 5 chain cable (at least for now).
I have been using the Whammy II second to last behind my delay/reverb. Seems to be good there. If someone has a better spot please chime in.

BTW, I totally agree with the Whammy II settings that Posternutbag listed for Treys new settings this tour. Those sounded spot on.
If anyone knows how to re-calibrate the Whammy II that would be great as I have no manual.