Main Menu

Bunker Guitars?

Started by picture_of_nectar, August 01, 2009, 01:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

saw a show with a guy playing one of those years ago. i was not blown away. IMO overpriced and bulky, neat though

raisingfreen

Every time I see one of these I always sorta cringe at the fact that the shape is never correct. The lanquedoc shape just has more of a sexy curve too it and in the right places. The clones attempt to come close but just never get it right. Not saying they don't play nice, as I have never played them, but just by the pics they just don't have the same vibe. A few I have seen have the f-holes that just look like ass. Wrong position, too small, humbuckers too close together, etc.... You would think that if your going to put so much work/money into these that they would spend more time on the drawings to get them a bit closer in form. In my opinion, if you have 3K to burn you could do a lot better with a custom build from any number of makers.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Walker done done

My thoughts exactly.  As soon as I saw the pics I thought it looked too cartoony to me.  The shape is off, and makes it look awkward.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

deadbearbobby

i was looking into buying one of his guitars for a while, and was very close to doing so, but i found Mr.Bunker to be a rather pushy sales man, and in some cases he was a little rude. if i still have the email i will post it here. as far as the guitar goes check out
equatorinstruments.com i believe  that is the address or just run a search on google. these are fantasic looking guitars. the trey models look just right and he has a jazz box version  called the vermont special.
his trey models cost a bit short of 3 thousand
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

Walker done done

Quote from: deadbearbobby on August 12, 2009, 02:29:22 PM
i was looking into buying one of his guitars for a while, and was very close to doing so, but i found Mr.Bunker to be a rather pushy sales man, and in some cases he was a little rude. if i still have the email i will post it here. as far as the guitar goes check out
equatorinstruments.com i believe  that is the address or just run a search on google. these are fantasic looking guitars. the trey models look just right and he has a jazz box version  called the vermont special.
his trey models cost a bit short of 3 thousand

Wow, those are purdy lookin' geetars, right there.  Now if he could do one in Koa and include the coil drop switch and series/parallel switch, we'd be in business.  Looks like fine craftsmanship though, thanks for the post.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Did anyone else notice that this guitar has a bolt-on neck?   :-X

...Do NOT buy this guitar, okay?

Poster

I wouldnt send equatorinstruments anything but coal. Sure they are sweet looking. The binding is pretty amazing stuff. But, David sent me a guitar that was wrought with issues. I had to spend a great deal of my money to turn what he sent me into a something really special. If I had ever heard of AO Guitars before, I never wouldve done business with him.

picture_of_nectar

poster,
Do you have a thread that details what you are talking about. That is a pretty harsh review.

I did notice the bolt on neck in the Bunker pictures. screw that.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

Basically, there were fisheyes all over the top of the thing when I got it. He promised to pay for repairs once they were completed by a local luthier. Upon inspection the luthier determined there was a number of issues with the guitar. Mind you this is straight out of the box. I emailed him constantly with pics etc and he just would continually reassure me that he would send me some money for all the work. He would not accept a return for a refund. Stuck with no options after waiting forever for this thing to be built, I accepted his offer for reimburse me for repair, had the work done, and to this day he hasnt sent me a fucking penny. I emailed and emailed. Fuck that asshole. Not only was I out a ton of cash for the repair but man o man that wasted a whole shit load of my time. What I play now is nothing like what equator sent me. The neck had to be modded, the top refinished, frets reworked. Shit I still have an occasional grounding issue due to how he runs the ground off the tailpiece. Why dont you call around to some guitar builders in the USA and ask about equatorinstruments. They see these guitars turn up in the shops all over the country as he will not set them up with a real case or electronics! Its fucking unbelievable.

picture_of_nectar

wow, well that's a shame you had a bad experience and butted heads with him. I've been emailing him and he's been super helpful. I have looked at all his guitars and they look beautiful.

Infact I just had to throw down a deposit on this beauty.

I guess I'll just hope it doesn't have the same issues yours did.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

Just trying to be helpful! Sorry when I come off as short or irritable. Shouldnt try to type on a blackberry for this stuff.

deadbearbobby

Quote from: posternutbag on August 12, 2009, 10:52:43 PM
Basically, there were fisheyes all over the top of the thing when I got it. He promised to pay for repairs once they were completed by a local luthier. Upon inspection the luthier determined there was a number of issues with the guitar. Mind you this is straight out of the box. I emailed him constantly with pics etc and he just would continually reassure me that he would send me some money for all the work. He would not accept a return for a refund. Stuck with no options after waiting forever for this thing to be built, I accepted his offer for reimburse me for repair, had the work done, and to this day he hasnt sent me a fucking penny. I emailed and emailed. Fuck that asshole. Not only was I out a ton of cash for the repair but man o man that wasted a whole shit load of my time. What I play now is nothing like what equator sent me. The neck had to be modded, the top refinished, frets reworked. Shit I still have an occasional grounding issue due to how he runs the ground off the tailpiece. Why dont you call around to some guitar builders in the USA and ask about equatorinstruments. They see these guitars turn up in the shops all over the country as he will not set them up with a real case or electronics! Its fucking unbelievable.
i feel the need to go to bat for equator instruments. out ofevery guitar that is built, a few are bound to have issues, infact a good, no better yet amazing hollowbody guitar still needs to be constantly cared for and all guitars (except crap ass fenders) need to be set up and checked out about every year very similar to humans, well most humans. i agree with you that he should have offer to refund or build you a new one or at the very least paid for the damage. take a look at any major guitar company, do you have any idea how many duds are shipped to retailers every year? how many timesguys who own music stores have to ship them back because the are unplayable? more than one would think. im not saying that it is acceptable but it is important to understand that a custom guitar can have issues but they need to be fixed. i have read reviews for the guys over at ressurection guitars and some people hate their guitars but many people still shell out 6 or 7 grand for a really bad looking trey hollowbody
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets

Poster

What did you miss? He did offer to refund for the cost repairs once repairs were completed locally, and he never paid me. I had maybe 50 pics of the guitar before it came, none showing the 20 some odd fisheyes from oil being on the top when lacquer was sprayed. He did contact me yesterday after people got wind of this thread which IMHO doesnt do much for me. He only bothered once he realized other people had heard about his fraudulent activities. I emailed him every few weeks for at least a year.....

deadbearbobby

what i ment by refund was you send the guitar he gives you money back. if his guitars are so bad than why does almost everyone who buys one leave a great review? besides what type of guitar are you playing?