What are you practicing?!

Started by fulltone1989, July 21, 2012, 01:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey everyone!

Figured I would kick off some theory discussion with what's become my practice routine.

I pick 1 key a day and do the modes, arpeggios, and melodic and harmonic minor scales to kick things off. I also do one of those finger crawl to get my right and left hands working together. All this is done with a metronome to keep things consistent.

I printed off the Ted Dunbar books and I am slowly working through that, as well as "Sheets of Sound" by Jack Zucker which is an awesome book but it is more of a jazz book, particularily the improv techniques of Coltrane and Pat Martino.

I was able to hook up Youtube to my TV so I have been finding some instructional vids on there that I practice a lick or two on depending on the day.

Lastly, I have the scan to Hoist's songbook, currently working on Julius.

Then I jam and get song idears onto my Jamman Stereo, which has become an invaluable tool for practicing. On the gear side of the house I finished wiring up my board DIY style and got the Whammy V (gotta love time and a half!)

What are you guys working on?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

IamWILSON

No practice for me lately.  I'm spending the rare personal guitar time I've been getting with composing a bunch of rock tunes.  So far got 6 songs done, and about 5 more in the works.  However, teaching 30+ guitar lessons each week is keeping me at bay through whatever stuff I'm working on with various students.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: IamWILSON on July 22, 2012, 02:22:09 AM
No practice for me lately.  I'm spending the rare personal guitar time I've been getting with composing a bunch of rock tunes.  So far got 6 songs done, and about 5 more in the works.  However, teaching 30+ guitar lessons each week is keeping me at bay through whatever stuff I'm working on with various students.

Teaching is still a great workout though...
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.