Ted Dunbar Books

Started by surefootedllama, August 06, 2009, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surefootedllama

I've tried to find these doing an exhaustive google search, but no luck.  Anyone have digital copies of these that they could mediafire to me? 

Thanks.

Heady Jam Fan

Bump - trying to the "A System of Tonal Convergence."

Ok! Think I got the whole thing! Someone from TGP was kind enough to mail me a disc with the entire book on 2 PDF files. The scan ended up having some pages upside down or sideways, so you might have to print it out to read it easily. For the time being, I have a 3rd file in the folder that the link (below) brings you to, which is the one we have been using for this thread, but I might delete it if the other, two part, PDF is complete.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4S3f4zHrJF-bmN6bUl4QlRSVVdTa2cwcW94SzFiZw
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

This is the most of it I could find:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4S3f4zHrJF-c0hKVjExSDlSRmViSzZTWWFEVWJtZw

PS - I have been flipping through it on and off this morning at work and it is making sense in a text book way, but I haven't had a chance to try it out. If anyone has any opinions, reflections, practical usage examples ect, please share! [ie chord progressions that might be best to practice these in or worked for you]

I recently read Stiles' Stash Solo thread and this seems to be somewhat similar to when he suggests switching from Aeolian to Harmonic for the turnaround as these scales all have the tritone(s) to bring us back to tonic.

If anyone has the rest of the book, I would love to read it - I suspect Ted added stuff for resolving to minor, as well as more practical stuff.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Thanks Happy - I saw that too, I think it is actually part of the link I posted.

Happyorange27

Yeah ok sorry i'm bouncing off the walls at my new job.  I get like 5 seconds here and there to check in ;D

I think you are really positively contributing a bunch to the forum by the way.  Keep it up!
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Thanks man - the regulars / people I have gotten to converse with here are great! So it means a lot that posting something like this is actually interesting and people feel it adds to the forum. I hope this thread fills with great stuff - many people here have offered insights and while I don't have the time I wish for on my guitar, I would like to fill the time I do have learning from others.

Hell, for inspiration, we could start a "Best Lesson Contest," each pitch in $5 for whoever comes up with the most helpful lesson every month or so - I am sure some of the stuff people have written out is pretty time consuming, so that might just be a fair trade to learn something (for me at least).
[^Half-Baked idea]

PS - I downloaded that link 3-4 times today myself hoping it was an additional section of the book, so no worries, I just figured I would mention it so others don't end up reading both before they realize it has the same info. It seems quite elusive, I checked a couple websites for a used one.

manicstarseed

I think I am getting the complete book on CD, snail mailed to me.
Ill let you know if I get it
And yes Heady, thank you for your contraibutions.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Stiles12

I have read a lot of books and this is one of my favorites.

this is actually a radical concept and not used by many players past and present, although the ones who have learned this well are guys like miles davis, thelonius monk, charlie parker, which kind of makes it clear why trey would be so heavily rooted in this concept. The chromatic lydian concept is more strongly prevelant in beebop improv as opposed to jazz standards. (another reason Trey reguards this as his favorite material) 

Really a great book

If you are interested in this sort of stuff you really should read "The Jazz Theory Book" if you havent so already. This book will definitly change your playing.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Heady Jam Fan

Manic - book on CD? Like Read by Ted Dunbar himself? That would be pretty wild! I suppose the other option is a sort of PDF version, which might be easier since there are so many images (though it would be cool to hear him singing the scales out note by note).

Stiles - I will put that on my to-read list... I think I might have a few weeks cut out for me with these scales ;). I think it makes sense that it was more of the bop-gang that was into this as the fundamental theory for something like Blue Note seems a bit more cut-and-dry...

manicstarseed

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 13, 2012, 06:17:23 PM
Manic - book on CD? Like Read by Ted Dunbar himself? That would be pretty wild! I suppose the other option is a sort of PDF version, which might be easier since there are so many images (though it would be cool to hear him singing the scales out note by note).

Wouldn't that be sweet.

Nah,  its likely the same thing as what you linked, except in 15+ megs of PDF.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

Stiles12

heady

I would ready jazz thoery before I read a lydian concept book... it will make a whole lot more sense as to what the movement does to the sound of your playing

Jazz theory takes all the modes and breaks down how to use them within your playing, and over what chords they are allowed and why. That was the first true jazz book i read a long while back when I was going thorugh modal concepts and its still the one i return to the most.

just food for thought.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

MomaDan

Check out this forum im pretty sure theres a link to the whole thing http://forum.phish.net/?thread=1325628548  The book is a little over my head at this point so i'll get back to it. I spend a lot more time over on .net then here
LP Studio w/ Wolfetone DR. V>Wilson Rippah>MXR Classic Dist>CompRosser>Strymon Mobius>Boomerang>TU-2>Fender SF Champ

Heady Jam Fan

Stiles,
I kinda had that feeling from the start. I had to re-read what he wrote on the first couple scales before I understood what was going on - the part that threw me was that the root of most of the chords heard in the scale and the chord resolved to is often not in the scale, but now I understand how it still spells out the tension chords even if it doesn't have the root and how each of those notes, particularly the ones with the tritone, want to go back to the resolution chord. I have a 'textbook' understanding of how those scales work with tension and resolution chords now, but I am 50/50 on my ability to apply it. I will try my hand at it this weekend, I am kind excited to see if I can just jump in, but I will definitely check out the Jazz Theory book too (though I am kinda broke ;)).

MomaDan,
I got that PDF from the Mediafire link on that site, but I just double checked the other links and there isn't anything that has more stuff in it. The one guy said this was everything except the table of contents type stuff, but it stops at page 41 and jumps to 69 and 71 IIRC, so something seems to be missing (and I doubt the table of contents was between page 40 and 70 ;)). The scales in this section pertain to resolving to Fmaj7 and the final page talks about use with minors (again IIRC) so I figured there would be a section on resolving to minors, but no clue... Thanks though!

fulltone1989

Hey Folks, I'm very interested in this book too. This guy over on phish.net has offered to send a scan of A System of Tonal Convergence if you PM him with your email. I can't register and PM him for some reason, if anyone with a phish.net account could PM him for me with my email, thomasmaclennan@gmail.com I would greatly appreciate it!

http://phish.net/user/angelhair
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.