Question about Ts9 x2

Started by picture_of_nectar, August 25, 2009, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

LOL....nonononono....we're not on the same page.  What I was saying is that I have both TUBESCREAMERS on at once, not the Keeley.  I had thought you said that you can't have both TS's on at once without the compressor, so I was disagreeing with you on that, saying "but I DO use both at once, without the compressor..." but I think you knew that anyways, so....

I think we're saying the same thing in the end, just taking different roads to get there.   :D

CHEERS  ;D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Really?   What is the effect on volume when you turn the second one on?  You don't have the drive and level almost maxed out on the second one, like Trey, do you?

EDIT: I listened to your show -- have you been playing like mad recently, because that was miles above anything else I've heard from you w/ Heavy Dime..?  Also, point out a section (could be a couple seconds, I don't care) of your set where you've got both tube screamers on, and no keeley.

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on August 30, 2009, 01:35:13 PM
Really?   What is the effect on volume when you turn the second one on?  You don't have the drive and level almost maxed out on the second one, like Trey, do you?

No, absolutely not.  Otherwise, yes, the volume boost would be unbearable (unless, like you said, I had the compressor to buff it afterwards).  The effect is more overdrive with a slight volume boost, but not too much of a volume boost when having the other TS9 also engaged.  My TS808 has the overdrive set a hair shy of the max, and the TS9 is the one I use for just a slight overdrive.  If I remember correctly both volumes are set around 10-11 o'clock, but the 808 is set slightly higher than the TS9, so when I engage it, the 808 gives that big overdrive push and adds a minimal volume increase (which allows for searing cut-through solos).  I do use the 808 alone, for something like Chalkdust or Have A Cigar or something like that.  Again, I think we're both talking around the same thing just saying it differently.  My bad for getting the thread spinning around.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Got it.

Did you see what I added to my last post (I think a few minutes before you replied)?

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on August 31, 2009, 12:30:38 PM
Got it.

Did you see what I added to my last post (I think a few minutes before you replied)?

I hadn't seen the edit, but thanks for that, much appreciated.  All the stuff you've heard w/ Heavy Dime is from a while ago, so in regards to have I been playing like mad....no, I don't think so (at least no more than normal), but I think the progress you hear must be in the year or two since any online recordings have been posted to myspace or anything.  I've gotten VERY lax on uploading stuff, mainly b/c of the time involved, my patience, and my own schedule haven't allowed for it to happen.  I should get on posting some recordings of live shows that we've done recently.

Not to mention that we did put in some focus for playing such tunes, as you can imagine you have to, and probably would've done yourself.  But to be honest...playing Phish allows me (and probably any other die hard fan) a chance to really bring out some feelings that you may not get to do with a cover band or any other band for that matter - and it's only BECAUSE of the way the music is so well written - that music (Phish) allows for different playing to happen.  The landscape is so much broader, and I think it's a product of that more than anything.  It's not to say that I can't play as well with Heavy Dime, it's just - for the most part - that doesn't exist behnid the music that's being played with that band.  (edit: I just re-read what I wrote & fully realize it sounds like mashed potatos, so my apologies if that's the case....)

As for the 2 TS's...the Ocelot solo has them both engaged w/out the Keeley, as does the Julius solo, I believe.  Quite possibly true on Slave Reprise & Chalkdust, but I can't be sure.  I also may've had both on during the 3/4 time part in Tube....but again, can't be sure w/out listening.  If I did so in Tube, I defintely didn't have the Keeley on then; I think I first engaged it during the Divided Sky parts towards the end where you hang on that long "A" as the band segues into the final "jam" section.  Though there's a chance I turned it on during The Curtain, but I don't think so....

EDIT: I can say for sure that I also have the overdrive channel on my amp engaged (as well as both TS's) during the Chalkdust jam, and also have the other channel engaged as well.  I honestly LOVE having that extra overdrive on the HRD.  The amp isn't the best but I do endear it, and as much as I try to find something to replace it, I have yet to find one that'll satisfy.

Loop 3 Boomerang+