Main Menu

Fender blues Jr

Started by blake11, September 25, 2009, 09:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake11

Guitarists,
Been playing for about 2-2.5 years. Been playing a marshall solid state 30W amp for about a year and ready to get a tube amp. Been at the local store many times now and looking for some input on the 15W fender blues jr. I know that most amps (especially tubes) are designed to be played at full throttle. However, will be living in an apartment thus will need to keep the volume moderate. I know 15W is not overly powerful but the blues jr is pretty loud. I am debating if its worth spendin +/-$350 on an amp I can't turn up past 3-4. Wanderin what you all think or if you have any suggestions on tube amps of the same or lesser watts. My price range is anywhere up to 400-450. In regards to the suggestions, I love the fender tone. Prefer an amp with great clean sound that I can boost with a tube screamer/compression pedal is needed rather than a natural thicker tube amp. Thanks in advance.

ColForbin

I never seen this post until now, it's been a little while and I'm sure you've purchased an amp by now.  However.....I think Fender Blues Jr.s are well worth $350, in fact I really want one my self for lower volume playing.  I think they pretty much one of the best amps that you could buy for 350 bones, considering your apartment limitations.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

sour d

Low volume amp? Fender champ. Blackface and silverface are basically the same circuit up until like '82 or something. You can snag a mid 70's champ for around $250-300 on ebay.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on November 17, 2009, 07:48:29 AM
Low volume amp? Fender champ. Blackface and silverface are basically the same circuit up until like '82 or something. You can snag a mid 70's champ for around $250-300 on ebay.

"And a cheesy little amp...with a sign on the front, said Fender Champ..."  ;D love that song
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

sour d

Quote from: Walker done done on November 17, 2009, 04:35:56 PM

"And a cheesy little amp...with a sign on the front, said Fender Champ..."  ;D love that song

And a second-hand guitar. It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar, I mean a Languedoc with a whammy pedal.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Walker done done

Quote from: sour d on November 18, 2009, 06:26:42 AM
Quote from: Walker done done on November 17, 2009, 04:35:56 PM

And a second-hand guitar. It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar, I mean a Languedoc with a whammy pedal.

Raaahahahahahaha!  Good one! 

PS - you had asked about our NYE date - we're playing @ RJ's Pub, 173 Ocean Street in SoPo, 04106.  Love to have you down.  Not a big bar or anything, but a nice place to play, good crowd, and the owners/bartenders really like us (and it shows, they pay fairly well, esp. for their size).  Part of me wishes we were playing @ Bubba's Sulky Lounge (if you haven't been, go...either when we're playing next, or every Friday they have 80's night...2 light up dance floors, tons of space, great place to see a show) for NYE but we didn't want to wait around until they knew their plans.  Make hay while the sun shines, as the saying goes.

Anyways, looking forward to NYE.  Already began the song process last night @ practice adding new tunes.  Added Rocks Off at our last show, and I think we added 4 last night (Sweet Virginia, Glass Onion, Crosseyed & Painless, & some Raconteurs song...) and will have another bunch in the coming weeks (Thriller, among others).  Should be fun!

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Happyorange27

So there are a couple types of Blues Jr models. 

Tolex black has an Eminece speaker; cheapest model.
NOS Tweed has the Jensen; more expensive.
Limited Red (only 150 ever made) has Celestion vintage 30 in it.

From YouTube videos, they sound better in that order.  Since the amps are the same, only the speaker is the main difference, maybe I could by the Tolex and a spare Celestion and swap speakers?  Anyone attempt this or have input on the different speakers?  What do you have in yours?
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

I have a Limited Emerald tolex model with the Vintage 30 in it. Sounds nice I would recommend that speaker. I had the tweed one for a bit and returned it, just didn't sound right to me.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Happyorange27

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on December 15, 2010, 03:37:17 PM
I have a Limited Emerald tolex model with the Vintage 30 in it. Sounds nice I would recommend that speaker. I had the tweed one for a bit and returned it, just didn't sound right to me.
Thanks PON.  Check this out.
http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=295
This Billm dude is a fanatic and everyone uses his mods for Blues Jr.  I had no idea this was such a craze.  This link alone shows all of the speakers it can take and some good descriptions.  What a can of worms I just opened. ;D
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

picture_of_nectar

Yeah I have looked into the BillM modds. Every once in a while a modded one comes up on TGP.

Mine is basically my practice amp so I'm not looking to put alot into it.

Upgraded tubes would be my first mod. A footswitch for the fat button would be nice. People do all kinds of stuff to them. The b jr doesn't cut it in my band so it's mostly my "don't piss off the wife" amp.

raisingfreen

Ahhhh the Blues Jr. It's like the first girl your ever got your fingers wet with and somehow you just can't shake the smell. You may eventually get rid of the sweet stench for another but you won't forget it. Tweed Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb it ain't but it'll get the job done assuming your using for the right purpose.

I don't quite get the purpose in the mods in these amps, as after you spend all the money on the Billm, speaker, tubes etc... you could have bought any number of great amps that do what the mods are trying to do. The market for some really decent tube amps is great right now. (glad I am not selling). It's like the recent housing market in that some great amps are going for relatively cheap money. If your after the Trey style amps just check out CL or Ebay as there are Silverface Princeton Reverbs, Silverface Deluxe Reverbs, and even Boogie Mark III heads going for good prices.

BTW...Anyone notice that Trey was using a little Princeton Reverb at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra show.

If your not after any particular sound by all means get back to finger bangin the Blues Jr....Ooohhh that smell!

This post is brought to by Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. Happy Holidays everybody!
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Walker done done

Quote from: raisingfreen on December 16, 2010, 12:12:44 AM
Ahhhh the Blues Jr. It's like the first girl your ever got your fingers wet with and somehow you just can't shake the smell. You may eventually get rid of the sweet stench for another but you won't forget it. Tweed Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb it ain't but it'll get the job done assuming your using for the right purpose.

This is the first sign of a sleep-deprived father trying to get the girl back to sleep.... :D

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Happyorange27

Quote from: raisingfreen on December 16, 2010, 12:12:44 AM

This is why I subsribe to this site; for the technical information and the smutty references to tang!  :P Made my day.

picture_of_nectar

Raisingfeern, that's funny.

I think part of the apeal of the Jr is it's that it's lightweight, low wattage, easy to grab and go, has the classic shimmery reverb. Perfect bedroom tube amp IMHO. I had a DRRI and to play it quiet enough in my house I'd have it dialed back to 2 and then you are loosing the sweet hot tube tone.

So I can see why people love 'em and will spend money on modding the tone. Same reason people would spend $1,500 on a 5 watt Matchless amp I guess, cause it sounds nice quiet.  

Poster

my matchless was so fucking loud it would make your eyes pop out of your head