I think we can all learn something from Adrien

Started by sour d, November 11, 2009, 06:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

Take a look what Adrien Belew does with these phishhead favorites. Maybe you guys have seen this, I just came across it. Thinking outside the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8lFmsCXhg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51IZG6Ryeis
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

cactuskeeb

Yeah, this is awesome.  Trey says that Belew's guitar tone was a major influence in creating his own.

Walker done done

That was pretty fucking gnar right there....great post, thank you!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

TheCrimsonKing

I'm kind of new to The Talking Heads, what are some good albums to start with?

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Walker done done

Quote from: TheCrimsonKing on November 12, 2009, 10:30:10 PM

Talking Heads are one of my favorite bands of all time, right up there w/ Phish, The Dead, Pink Floyd, and a slew of others.  Great albums include (in order, my favorites):

- Fear of Music
- Speaking in Tongues (tie w/ below)
- Remain In Light
- Talking Heads: 77

But really, after you've gotten a hold of all these, go out and just get the rest:

- More Songs About Buildings & Food
- Little Creatures
- Naked
- True Stories (not so great, but if you're going to get the rest, might as well get this one)

In fact, there's a Talking Heads box set out there that I bought a while ago, go get it.  Worth every penny.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on November 13, 2009, 12:28:56 AM
That was sick... i wanna bang the blonde chick

Tina Weymouth.  She got topless at a show one time that my buddy attended...not a TH show, it was the Tom Tom Club.  Then she put a mesh shirt on, which didn't do a very good job of covering her titties.  :P

Loop 3 Boomerang+

YouEnjoyMyReba

Haha fucking nice.  Do all crosseyed and painless start like that when played by talking heads? Shits sick
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

YouEnjoyMyReba

man i cant get enough of that jam at the beginning of crosseyed and then the kick into the fast beat. nasty

Walker done done

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on November 13, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
Haha fucking nice.  Do all crosseyed and painless start like that when played by talking heads? Shits sick

No not all, but it may be something they started doing live at some point.  I have a live version from Milwaukee '84 and it does start off funky and slow, similar to this (although w/out Adrien) and it's pretty gnar as well.  The album version is not reflective of this slower funk part, however.

I played the Milwaukee version for a couple of my band members and I think we're going to bust it out for our NYE show, along w/ some other tasty treats.  1999, possibly Thriller as well.  We busted out Rocks Off (from Exile) last night, won the crowd over nicely.  For Talking Heads tunes, we've cover Cities, And She Was, Psycho Killer, Life During Wartime, Burning Down the House, and Take Me To The River (though not technically a TH song - Al Green wrote it).  We've also played Heaven, but not live.  Someone mentioned This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) at yesterday's gig, so we may try that out soon as well.  I'd love to do Thank You For Sending Me An Angel, The Book I Read, Mind, Big Business/I Zimbra, Slippery People, Paper, Electric Guitar, Memories Can't Wait, Warning Sign...so many good songs.

What else should we bust out for NYE?

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Walker done done

Quote from: TheCrimsonKing on November 12, 2009, 10:30:10 PM

Also - if you don't alread own the Stop Making Sense DVD, turn off your computer and go buy asap.  Amazing.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

Quote from: Walker done done on November 14, 2009, 12:39:17 PM
Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on November 13, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
Haha fucking nice.  Do all crosseyed and painless start like that when played by talking heads? Shits sick

r (though not technically a TH song - Al Green wrote it).

nope, Teenie Hogdens wrote take me to the river. His cousin sang on our EP. Teenie was in Cat Power more recently, but Teenie gets the royalty check each month. Not the rev green.

Why arent you playing Making Flippy Floppy? Or Stay Hungry? Hollingsworth from Cheese has been covering THis must be the place, and people freak out.

sour d

Walker where are you playing on nye? I'd like to check that out. I remember when I was 19 and heard bob weir doing "take me to the river" on the furthur tour. That was the first time I realized how cool that song is. I was spun and couldn't stop thinking "Who the fuck is getting the royalty check on this song?"
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe