Overdrives/distortions

Started by sour d, November 14, 2009, 09:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour d

What are you using for overdrive/distortion? My wife says I have a problem with pedals. I  just like to try different shit. Vintage/modded/clones. I've tried a lot of shit. Sometimes I just can't let go even if it's not on my board, it might be someday right?

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

what is that like 8 ds1 distortions?

why dont you have a proper rat?

sour d

Sold the vintage rat. Lately I've been looking for the best modded ds-1. Everything from analogman to keeley to monte allums etc. I've been through 10 or 12. The best so far is from a guy in mass. DTS electronics. I can't wait to try his ts9 mods. His ds-1 is by far the best. Not at all like the stock pedal. I knew someone would have issues with the ds-1's but I'll just say don't knock it till you try it (modded, the stock pedal sucks). There is also a modded sd-1 in there. Monte allums mod. Supposed to be like a ts808. Not good. The dod 250 (first yellow edition) is great. The other yellow pedal is a tubescreamer type from nxgeneration. That is a useable one. Way more gain and drive. The pink ones are old ibanez ss10's. Imagine blending your distortion with your clean signal in parallel then adding a touch of chorus.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Poster

if you havent tried a garmopat DS1 you havent really heard a DS1 :0)

in fact all of his mods are great. give him shot

YouEnjoyMyReba

Damn man thats a lot of pedals.  Im bout to order a fully modded ts9 from garmopat with true bypass and two toggles.  It also has an IC socket and includes both an RC4558P and JRC4558 chip.  It seems pretty sick. If anybodys got any experience with it id love to hear about it.
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

That is just my overdrives and distortions. I bet I could open a used gear store. I'm sure garmopat does a great job with his mods and I'm sure you'll love it. I've found that 95% of the "mods" out there are the same. The big difference is how much you pay to have it done. I would check out DTS electronics and compare what is actually being done to the pedal and compare how much it costs. Analogman and Keeley hold their value better than most, but if you like it, you're not going to sell it anyway. IC sockets are cool because you can buy opamp chips really cheap and experiment. I had a stacked (1chip soldered on top of another) burr brown opamp in my analogman ts808 for a while. I just ordered a National Semiconductor chip to try in one of my tubescreamers because that is where I work and I want to see how that one sounds. I know we have some really tight tolerences.

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: sour d on November 15, 2009, 03:31:19 PM
I had a stacked (1chip soldered on top of another) burr brown opamp in my analogman ts808 for a while.

How did that sound?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

If I remember correctly it was mostly an increase in gain. When you get your pedal I can mail it to you with a bunch of other opamps to try if you send them back when you're done. Here's the link to DTS. I havent heard his tubescreamer yet but his ds-1 mod is the best. Blows keeley and analogman away.

http://home.att.net/~dtstechnicalservice/

YouEnjoyMyReba

picture_of_nectar

I use two Maxon OD9s silver mod.

I have a Ibanez TS9 analogman silver to sell if anyone here wants it, send me a pm.

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

YouEnjoyMyReba

Sound wise, what are the differences in the OD9 and the ts9

picture_of_nectar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqIopC4kIQ

the difference in tone is very subtle if they both have the silver mod. Od9 has a true bypass switch.

Poster

the only thing keeley makes thats cool is that clean boost with the side volume, and i only like that for keyboards.

i like the modded boss ds-1's for keyboard stuff too, it works much better than a tubescreamer or whatever when in a loop with keys

ColForbin

Speaking of distortions, has anybody here tried the cmatmods signa drive, I'm really contemplating getting one, I just can't decide if I should.  Great reviews kicking around the net, but I wondered if anyone here had tried it?  I was looking at getting a boost from him as well....
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

picture_of_nectar