Goin to my phirst Phish concert!! Any tips?

Started by chancho, November 30, 2009, 08:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chancho

Got tickets for Thursday MSG concert.  Im excited as can be , been listenin to just 3 months but, as a recent, guitar player absolutely love Trey's sound and their music altogether.  I read though that the audience gets involded in ther "gags", what should I look for?  Btw, I hear that they are recovery friendly and being in the rooms myself (14 yrs) I appreciate them even more.

Wolfe

for the directions listen to

Variety Playhouse 3.28.1992

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1DJJOQQO

right in the middle of a david bowie
Set your gearshift to the high gear of your soul!

Wolfe

Set your gearshift to the high gear of your soul!

YouEnjoyMyReba

Dude im in the rooms too, just got clean 5 months ago.  When your at the show look for the yellow balloons, they have meetings during the set break.  Its a group called the phellowship, theyre not affiliated with NA or AA but they are a group of people who go to shows sober.  Great to have another recovering person in the forum!!!
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

YouEnjoyMyReba

BTW, you know Treys in recovery also right?  I believe hes been clean for just over 2 and a half years.
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

chancho

Yeah I know bout Trey bein in da rooms, in fact I think theres been a sighting in one of the rooms I frequented

Poster

YouEnjoyMyReba

Quote from: chancho on December 01, 2009, 12:40:43 PM
Yeah I know bout Trey bein in da rooms, in fact I think theres been a sighting in one of the rooms I frequented
man thats awesome, id love to hear his story

picture_of_nectar

chanco,
WOW have fun man, MSG will be an amazing place to see your first show.

My advice, just try to let it all go and be in the moment...check any ego, expectation, or self conciousness at the door, let yourself be your true self for a night and go crazy. That's when the magic happens. Good liquid is a catalyst but you can get there sober too...have fun!
;)
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

picture_of_nectar

also, don't get caught up in where your seats are. when you are in the house your in the house. each spot in the venue can be a unique experience.

if you don't dig on the vibe of the people around you, don't let them bring you down, and don't be afraid to move, just walk around and find some cool people to chill with.

personally I like a center view for the light show, but distance from the stage is irrelavant, I have had just as much fun in the back row as the front. each perspective is interesting in it's own way. at GA shows I go up close set one to watch Trey noodle, and 2nd set i go back to take in the event as a whole.

also, be ready to want to go to Friday night also ;)
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

jonb52578

poster took me to my phirst show this year and it was f'n life changing. made 17 years of learning an instrument finally make sense. this coming from a guy who toured for 5 years. something about the synergy between the band and the crowd. the vibe. the people. and the WOMEN omg! my advice is to go in with an open mind and be prepared to have it blown completely away.
talking about music is like dancing about architecture