Main Menu

J

Started by Poster, January 03, 2010, 06:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

J
B

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

So do Graphite picks make that much difference in guitar tone? I mean I know a firm pick does over a soft one, but what makes Grafite so special?

ANd are you guy saying they arn't avaialable anywhere except ebay?
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

I'm currently using the Dunlop 2.0mm composite picks, which are very similar to the Adamas 2.0mm graphite picks, and I love them.  Maybe even a little more love than for the Adamas, because the material offers a little bit more grip than the Adamas, IMO.  I have one (1) Adamas 2.0mm graphite that Mike Young (lead guitarist of Fennario, a GD tribute band around Boston/Worcester) gave me at my festival this year, but I don't use it that much since it's my only one.  I've been trying (albeit half-heartedly) to acquire more Adamas picks but as Poster said, they're hard to find, and I'm not about to shell out $11 a pick, especially for a 1.0mm that is basically useless for me.  $11 a pick is OUTRAGEOUS, let alone for a 2.0mm pick.  I know that Jerry used the Adamas graphite, but I thought Trey used something else...then again, I could be brainfarting.  NYE took a toll on me.  8)
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

HunSanity

just bought two adams graphite 2.0 today, cant believe i found them..let the christmas level anticipation begin.. hope i like them as i play with a medium, it will take some getting used to..

patrickstefanski

i use those alligator 2.0mm graphite ones

they are good.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

Quote from: patrickstefanski on April 09, 2010, 10:44:43 AM

they are good.

They are, but they are not graphite, they're a composite material very similar to graphite.  And a whole lot cheaper too!  Either way I really don't think anyone can tell the difference between those and graphite picks, and anyone who says otherwise is fucking high.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

patrickstefanski

i suspected they werent the real deal, based on the price...but i love them.

after a while they get that really really nice rounded edge, sounds great.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Walker done done

Quote from: patrickstefanski on April 09, 2010, 11:23:44 AM
i suspected they werent the real deal, based on the price...but i love them.

after a while they get that really really nice rounded edge, sounds great.

LOL...that's when I turn them in for a new one.  I like the attack and bite I get out of the sharp corner.  Goes to show you different players prefer different strategies.  I love the quote by Garcia in regards to picks:

Guitar.com: Do you hold the pick the same way for both instruments?

Garcia: Pretty much, yeah, but I move it around all the time while I'm playing. I don't have a way to hold the pick — you know, an iron grasp. I constantly adjust it. I always strike the string with the pointy end. A lot of guys use the rounded shoulder of the pick because it makes it seem like you can play faster. But what you pick up in speed, you sacrifice in point. I like to have a lot of control over the attack of the note. By relaxing or tightening up your grip on the pick, you can get a lot of change in touch, coloration, and harmonic content. With acoustic guitar, that's one of the ways you can really color your playing. I use a real thick pick, one with absolute zero flexibility. It's like a stick.

The full interview can be found here (there are 2 seperate interviews, both great; this quote is from the 2nd): http://malfalfa1.tripod.com/garciainterview.htm

Loop 3 Boomerang+

sour d

If you need adamas 2.0mm picks there is a guy who frequents this site that has quite a few of them. I bought 3 unopened bags of them off him already. I know you know who it is walker. I hope he doesn't mind me posting this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bag-of-12-Adamas-2mm-Graphite-Guitar-Picks-Jerry-Garcia_W0QQitemZ220585208590QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item335be72b0e
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

patrickstefanski

Anyone wanna go halves on a bag?  I don't think I need 12, and I don't think I wanna spend 50 bucks.
Current Rig:

sour d

Send the seller a message through ebay. I bet he can work something out with you. I think they are worth every penny. If you get six, you'll be kicking yourself over not getting twelve. Those picks are more addictive than heroin.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

picture_of_nectar

Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Walker done done on April 09, 2010, 11:00:40 AM

they are good.

They are, but they are not graphite, they're a composite material very similar to graphite.  And a whole lot cheaper too!  Either way I really don't think anyone can tell the difference between those and graphite picks, and anyone who says otherwise is fucking high.

There's a huge difference.  When you actually learn how to use the Adamas 2 millimeter picks, you realize how many Trey tones are simply impossible without them.

EDIT: Also, there are two difference kinds of Adamas 2mm graphites: there is one type that's all slick looking and doesn't sound as good as the other type, which is rougher looking but polishes itself where it contacts the strings. 

I like the Modulus 1mm graphites as well.

Walker done done

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 12, 2010, 10:13:07 AM
Quote from: Walker done done on April 09, 2010, 11:00:40 AM

they are good.

They are, but they are not graphite, they're a composite material very similar to graphite.  And a whole lot cheaper too!  Either way I really don't think anyone can tell the difference between those and graphite picks, and anyone who says otherwise is fucking high.

There's a huge difference.  When you actually learn how to use the Adamas 2 millimeter picks, you realize how many Trey tones are simply impossible without them.

EDIT: Also, there are two difference kinds of Adamas 2mm graphites: there is one type that's all slick looking and doesn't sound as good as the other type, which is rougher looking but polishes itself where it contacts the strings. 

I like the Modulus 1mm graphites as well.

So you're saying you were high when you wrote this? :o

LOL, j'k. :P

Loop 3 Boomerang+