Main Menu

A

Started by Poster, February 09, 2010, 12:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster

A
s

YouEnjoyMyReba

How do you learn about stuff like this? Is there a book or something?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

YouEnjoyMyReba

I understand what your saying and i thank you.  But as far as terminology (pot values, transformers, line driving buffers, etc.) where can i learn about the technology aspect of guitar rigs? I've read just about every forum on this site and while i've gained an extensive amount of knowledge i still get totally lost when you guys start talkin about stuff like that (esp. cactus). Thanks for the help and patience!
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

Happyorange27

Wow I have never read this thread. Fucking great.

So I'm listening to more Phish than ever (happens every time I go to a concert).  And everytime I hear that sizzling tone on certain songs, I wonder,"is that Trey switching channels, amps, boost, what???!". It's the tone that sounds like it's about to pop a zipper busting boner. ... And then I most always hear the whammy kick in, or should I say a pitch is bent. So I'm damn near convinced that the whammy loop is fucking amazing on Treys rig.

After reading the above Poster experiment, I'm leaning more toward the fact that it's the volume recovery that is doing much of the job. I think the boost to bring the signal back up is actually above unitary and it is cooking the preamp more than nominally. I'm sure the digital aspect is contributing as well. Anyway it's kind of infectious. And if I'm right, does Trey just turn on the whammy to get this sizzle tone, and not alway necessarily using the treadle? 
Man I would like to get that effect.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Brian27

The Sizzle factor has to do with Trey having his Whammy on without using the Treadle at times unless he chooses to do so. I use my Whammy without moving the Treadle at times especially when using a Chorus or Flanger pedal. I does something to the tone of the Chorus that i love. I dont like Detune at all which is why i never use that preset at all

Happyorange27

Quote from: Brian27 on June 10, 2011, 09:22:59 AM
The Sizzle factor has to do with Trey having his Whammy on without using the Treadle at times unless he chooses to do so. I use my Whammy without moving the Treadle at times especially when using a Chorus or Flanger pedal. I does something to the tone of the Chorus that i love. I dont like Detune at all which is why i never use that preset at all

Thanks for that confirmation Brian.  So here are some questions:

• Which whammies will do this sizzle?  II, IV, etc.?
  • What mode does it have to be on?  Any mode, certain mode?

And I have a Digitech GNX4 which does have a whammy setting but it's tied in with all the other pedals that are configured.  Honestly I think my unit is too clean to give this sizzle. 

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Brian27

Well the one Trey uses is by far my fav Whammy which is the Whammy II. I got mine off of Ebay for about $250. Trey uses different presets during his solo's and during his delay loops and Boomerang loops. Some fav combos he uses are 1Oct down and his wah. I love when he uses the Oct up Oct down preset with his Univibe. Listen carefully to the Born under punches from 10-31-96 and you will hear him cycle through the list of available selections during a solo.

fulltone1989

The "Whale Call" is the 2nd down setting, I made a quick youtube showing how I do the Funk siren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMBc0GhkwQ

The 2nd and 3rd attempts are much better IMO, I just set the tempo on the Flashback too fast, but you get the point.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Brian27

That is some nice Whammy Funk. That reminds me of What Trey did on the Piper off the Live In Vegas DVD.