Trey's White Ibanez

Started by deadbearbobby, March 25, 2010, 08:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbearbobby

Thought this was an interesting picture of our boy Trey.  Scroll to the bottom of the thread.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/free-classifieds/wtb-ibanez-mc-150-or-350/
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets
not in use: Vox AC4, Flanger hoax, Giga delay, PIgtronix Mothership

strangedesign

i've seen that pic somewhere. seems like one of there books or maybe a magazine article
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Walker done done

That pic is from The Phish Book, by Richard Gehr.  Raisnfreen actually pointed that out to me a while ago and currently owns a frankensteined Ibanez Musician that's been heavily modded by AO.  Not sure how the guitar sounded before but now that it's been modded it's a sweet guitar, indeed.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

patrickstefanski

i have a video called "tracking" which is the making of "Hoist"

he plays a white something for axilla i think (or one of the songs on there, haven't seen that video in years).
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

raisingfreen

The hoist recording video is interesting because he is seen playing a few different guitars. I think the white one was a les paul. It's on youtube. For the bearsville sessions he also plays a danelectro and another red les paul (also seen on youtube). One of the sections you can see him using a big old vox (ac30) I think to get some crazy loud distortion. Must be nice to have all those great guitars laying around.

Highly recommend the Ibanez Musician however. My favorites of that series is the ones made in 1982. The MC150 is what is seen in the Trey Photo in the Gehr book. Their all pretty cool but, I would say price wise the MC150 is the best bet for modding and playing. The others are more collectors now and command pretty high prices. The late 70s versions are floating around all the time on ebay.

See the MC550 from 1982. Last year of production. This guitar is just sick.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/expansion.php?cat_id=74&now=4
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

raisingfreen

BTW, welcome to deadbearbobby. As I recall you have had a few (at least one) Ibanez musicians and were thinking of getting a new guitar built. How is that coming along?

deadbearbobby

Quote from: raisingfreen on March 27, 2010, 10:23:51 AM
BTW, welcome to deadbearbobby. As I recall you have had a few (at least one) Ibanez musicians and were thinking of getting a new guitar built. How is that coming along?

Funny you should ask that. I had an ibanez mc500 from 1980. i sold it recently to fund an AO guitar project, but ended up buying a bunch of pedals and a new amp. Now im looking for a white or dark stain mc 150 because the reviews are so good on them. Also a buddy of ine that used to be in a very phish sounding band played one and i thought it was the closest trey sounding solid body, those 58's are great. Anyway no AO project for now... im moving up NH this summer so i need to save the green.  ;)
Apartment rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>SRB 808>Ross Clone>wally looper>Epiphone valve Jr
Gig rig: Custom Cook hollowbody>Big Muff >Ross Clone>wally looper>epiphone valve jr/polytone mini brute (stereo rig)>Two fender 15"bass cabinets

Poster

what pedals/amp ya get dude? got pics

deadbearbobby

hey poster, sorry for the delay havent popped in for a while. right now im playing my mc 150 through a fender vibrolux reverb (the white knob, 2x 10) and the only pedals i use are a wah and envelope filter, a tube screamer and russian big muff. pretty simple but with the volume up enough and a touch or reverb i can get that classic trey feedback. i used to have a compressor in the line, but took it out after i got the mc... neck though sustain is tough to beat  :)

raisingfreen

deadbear, glad to see your still playing the MC150. How is your AO project coming along? Did you have him build one?

I was pretty happy when AO finished with my MC150 (was Red, now kind'a blonde). I agree about the neck through on these. It is nice. Have AO show you what he did to mine as it was quite an undertaking but well worth the effort.

Do you have any pics of yours?

deadbearbobby

AO and i are still in talks, we are actually looking in two options either a full hollow venus, with standard trey set up(minor exceptions being a single coil in the middle and a 3 on 3 ibanez style headstock and a different shape for the f-holes, don't wanna be too much like a languedoc) or a steven cripe eagle style guitar, neck through body headstock like an ibanez an the "wings" would be hollowed out (chambered i guess) and there would be an ebony tail piece. the tough part is deciding, both would be more great for any type of music, just a matter of feel and build. I havent talked to AO in a while, be pondering the choice (and of course life comes up in there too haha). I'll get some pics of the current rig up soon... im in the process of redoing the amp/speaker set up. It will be a vox ac 50 head and  2 cabinets each loaded with three speakers plus a 2- 12" added to the vibrolux for stereo.

'

aoguitars

Quote from: patrickstefanski on March 26, 2010, 04:11:27 PM
i have a video called "tracking" which is the making of "Hoist"

he plays a white something for axilla i think (or one of the songs on there, haven't seen that video in years).

yeah, that's an awesome video. I love that Axilla Pt.2 clip. That guitar was a white SG Custom (3 Humbuckers). Big ass fat sound for that lick.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com