What does everyone do for a living?

Started by patrickstefanski, April 09, 2010, 04:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrickstefanski

When I was in high school, I was a part of a massive network of "hookups" (the non-sexy kind).  Basically, between me and all my friends, we had someone in our network working at every spot in town, and we would hook each other up.

I worked at a grocery store, so I let the scanner "skip" one or two or 12 items when my friends came in.  One friend worked at the movies, and forgot to check our tickets.  One friend worked at Laser Tag and forgot to charge us for rounds 2-12. You get the point.

It has always been a dream of mine to set up a LARGER network of much cooler shit.  Or at the very least, have a vast group of people who work in different fields for consultations purposes.

I'll start!

I do 3D Graphics/Graphic Design.  My full time job is working for a graphic design firm in NYC.  Our main clients are Giorgio Armani, Lancome Paris,  and Ralph Lauren.  I do a lot of store design, advertisement pieces, image retouching, and layouts, but my big thing is the 3D.  I love 3D.  It's the greatest.

At night, I continue my 3D graphics en devour doing freelance work for a whole huge range of clients.  You can check out my (unfortunately outdated) gallery here:   www.patrickstefanski.com/3DDesign.html

The recent economic meltdown has definitely introduced me to barter-working.  The NY times had a whole section on people who were working strictly for trade last summer.  Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, what do you do!?  Need any graphics? Band logo? Website images?
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

Poster

i play rock music for a living.

electronic music for fun.

you should do me up some perty graphics to support the cause!

raisingfreen

Well my living is made similar to patrick's.
I run an advertising/marketing company called Portland Creative, located in Maine. I agree with the hookups or network aspect of this as it has worked out well trading services with certain contacts. It also leads to more clients/relationships. Advertsing can be expensive, but word of mouth is priceless. Take AO guitars for example, he is right down the road from me and I had never heard of him. Walker gave me his name in a everyday conversation and the rest has been a great relationship.

<shameless plug>I use the phrase "a creative extension of your organization..." as that is primarily what we do. The true measure of success for any design solution is it's functionality. In it's final implementation it has to work. We pride ourselves in providing design solutions that not only work but consistently exceed our clients' highest expectations.<plug end>

portlandcreative.com
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

patrickstefanski

Quote from: raisingfreen on April 09, 2010, 10:45:57 PM
Well my living is made similar to patrick's.
I run an advertising/marketing company called Portland Creative, located in Maine. I agree with the hookups or network aspect of this as it has worked out well trading services with certain contacts. It also leads to more clients/relationships. Advertsing can be expensive, but word of mouth is priceless. Take AO guitars for example, he is right down the road from me and I had never heard of him. Walker gave me his name in a everyday conversation and the rest has been a great relationship.

<shameless plug>I use the phrase "a creative extension of your organization..." as that is primarily what we do. The true measure of success for any design solution is it's functionality. In it's final implementation it has to work. We pride ourselves in providing design solutions that not only work but consistently exceed our clients' highest expectations.<plug end>

portlandcreative.com

great site!  if you ever need any 3D work, let me know, we can work something out. 
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

raisingfreen

Patrick,
I absolutely will. I am smart enough to know what I do best and what I don't. For instance I realized some time ago that I could make more money and be more creative staying away from web programming duties and focusing on print and overall aesthetic, cohesive design, etc... Besides my days of pounding diet cokes and programming websites are over. It has just become too complicated even though the money is good. In the past few years I have really got into product design and that seems to be most lucrative.

BTW, I would like to have a t-shirt of the image you have at the top of your site. That is a killer drawing. You should get in touch with Walker and come up with a cool poster for his summer festival. Maybe even his band logo. I could see your style going along with his band.

Thanks for the site compliment. It was actually done very quickly using iWeb and somewhat modeled after the Danny Clinch photography site. I just thought is was really simple and straight forward. I hate programming and just needed to show some samples in a efficient way.

Cheers.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

patrickstefanski

Yeah, I really like that image too.  I did it a few years ago and it remains one of my favorites.  I am currently in the process of doing it ALL in 3D.  Which should be done in a few weeks (hopefully).
You can check out a lot more of my 2D stuff on my old DeviantArt account.  joeyarkenstat02.deviantart.com  (BONUS POINTS FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS THE MEANING BEHIND MY USER NAME "joeyarkenstat"[kind of phish related]).
Current Rig:

sour d

Quote from: patrickstefanski on April 11, 2010, 09:32:11 PM
  (BONUS POINTS FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS THE MEANING BEHIND MY USER NAME "joeyarkenstat"[kind of phish related]).

fake bass legend on the deep end
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

patrickstefanski

congrats...here are your fake bonus points       ( ...)
Current Rig:

aoguitars

I'm doing my best to be a one-stop shop for all things in the custom guitar world. Primarily guitars, but I have been getting really into the electronic side with the custom cables, effects, and hopefully some speaker cabinets and enclosures. Seeing as how I tried to make it in the rock and roll world as a player and the band broke up, at least I can be involved by trying to get some awesome equipment to the guys that are playing.

And I love the barter system!
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

jadirusso

I'm an IT guy at a large financial institution. I work with all flavors of Unix, Linux and Windows systems. I'm mainly focusing on automation of system builds and software installs right now. So I guess if anyone has computer type questions I can usually help with that type of stuff.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

cactuskeeb

I work for a global pharmaceutical company.  I do some IT work and some editing work, for the package inserts (the drug info doctors read to determine what to prescribe to their patients, how much they need to be given, and the side effects involved).  But I can't get you any of the drugs, sorry. :P

Walker done done

I have a few titles attached to me right now, Director of Client Services and Director of Outbound Marketing, for a marketing company here in Portland.  SRG is the name of the company (Stewart Response Group), though we're morhing into NexRep as we speak.  If you've ever heard of LiveOps, we're a scaled down version of them, though our goal is to rival them one day.  We are an inbound/outbound everything company for our clients.  I took the job of Director of Client Services in the beginning, which entails managing the clients we have in every aspect, from creative, advertising mediums, product scripting, IT, outsourcing, wiping ass, and beyond.  The jist of the inbound clients is health & wellness supplements for your body: everything from hair, eye, skin, digestive, bladder, prostate, sleep, weight loss, male vitality, women's multivitamins, diabetic supplements, neuro function, pain/joint relief, etc.  You name it, one of clients has something that'll fix you.  When our outbound campaigns started to gain some traction, I took over that as well and now currently oversee 25 agents (soon to be 80-100 with our new growth expansion).

You'll laugh, but this campaign encompasses a $1.1 billion dollar client, so the laughing gets serious real quick!  The reason you may laugh is our demographic is 50+ year old women...and their clothes, shoes, and homegoods.  Right up my alley, right?  LOL.  Well, our client, Orchard Brands (of the beefy holding company Golden Gate Capitol) has an unbelieveably dedicated client base spread out over 12 catalogs, and our job is to enhance their revenue growth from different avenues.  So that's what I'm doing.  I love it, and love the company and people I work for. 

So, not really sure what I could barter besides my mind, LOL....pretty sure you guys don't need any of the products that my clients offer.  Your folks on the other hand....

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

I own an indoor rock climbing gym. Doesn't make any money but it's fun. My wife has the real job.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Walker done done

Quote from: picture_of_nectar on April 12, 2010, 12:25:06 PM
I own an indoor rock climbing gym. Doesn't make any money but it's fun. My wife has the real job.

Dude that's awesome!  I LOVE rock climbing.  It's a killer on the hands & arms.  I got into it a while back but fell out of my routine...seeing that post made me drool a little and may provide some extra motivation.  Where are you located?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

picture_of_nectar

Medford, Oregon
www.roguerockgym.com

We are going on 6 years in business. Hoping this is our magic year where we break even.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone