Main Menu

The Chirp

Started by HunSanity, April 21, 2010, 01:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

Quote from: raisingfreen on April 25, 2010, 09:42:51 PM
cactus,
I am pretty sure that he didn't get the wrong kind (it is possible... ahughgh...just not from me), however that is not to say they may not be what works for him. I looked up that photo you posted awhile back (those are the ones and the only ones I have ever seen or used). They do have a slightly tapered edge to them that also seems to smooth or wear after much use. Also the reverse side has the 2 adamas/ovation flourish thingy's. This hole topic is pretty interesting as I would imagine everyone picks slightly or drastically different. We all seem to have tried the same couple of picks as well. 2mm Black Gators etc... It is interesting to try both one after the other and hear the differences. For instance if Jerry did actually use these I could see why. They do add just a bit of a bright edge to the sound especially when using single coils/coil tap and the pointy edge. Good thing either Trey or Jerry liked to use a quarter or something like that. Then again that would be cheaper than the adamas.

I will say I really liked the pick that AO posted. Those really seemed cool and would be great for the player that does use the all rounded sides.
If anyone knows where to get those let me know.

freen, I'm not saying he got the wrong kind.  Notice I said *bad* kind.  It's the same f'ing pick but differences in the graphite are there nonetheless: the graphite in the good kind is softer, and doesn't sound all plasticy like the harder graphite in the bad kind.  I have a plethora of both kinds of adamas graphite 2mm picks.  The camera that captured the photo I posted on here years ago was borrowed.  I will borrow another one, and show you.  Or, I wouldn't be adverse to mailing one of each kind to either Walker or Poster, since they have the right equipment to be able to really hear the difference.  Or, I could just be ignored and unbelieved, and remain the only guy on here whose "Chirp" is smooth.

Poster

[/quote]

freen, I'm not saying he got the wrong kind.  Notice I said *bad* kind.  It's the same f'ing pick but differences in the graphite are there nonetheless: the graphite in the good kind is softer, and doesn't sound all plasticy like the harder graphite in the bad kind.  I have a plethora of both kinds of adamas graphite 2mm picks.  The camera that captured the photo I posted on here years ago was borrowed.  I will borrow another one, and show you.  Or, I wouldn't be adverse to mailing one of each kind to either Walker or Poster, since they have the right equipment to be able to really hear the difference.  Or, I could just be ignored and unbelieved, and remain the only guy on here whose "Chirp" is smooth.
[/quote]

agreed and rep'd cactus humungous.

ive had both good and bad graphite picks. from both adamas, and other manufacturers. some have a lip around the edge, some are completely inflexible, others have a little play in them. sometimes it varies from bag to bag, probably just bad production years or sets or something.

iam sure there are counterfeit picks around though. they are so easy to print on, if there is any money in there, there is a counterfeit alternative.

we are unfortunately bound to a globalized world economy run by small network of international finance oligarchs and as a result, have created a lucrative counterfeit industry, no only encouraged by the Chinese, but also by every cheap bastard on the planet.

iam extremely picky about the picks i use. the skunky ganj picks are workin like a charm. i like the feel of a big nug under my finger ya know?

now i just cant get all the same sounds out of anything else.

however, i wouldnt be apposed to slay a monster alligator turtle to see if it would sound better? like beowulf. just jump on that mean bastards back start snapping tortoise parts.  

youd have to go hand to turtle paw, as using a blade or firearm would damage the goods. ha ha ha HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA <end evil laughter>

cactuskeeb

lol.  Rob, I can certainly understand what you're saying most of the time and picture it in my mind but, nevertheless, whether there is a reality somewhere that substantiates anything you describe... ;D

It is well documented on the webs that there's no reason why they should have discontinued Adamas 2mm graphites--the demand was, and still is, huge.  The rumor is that for whatever reason, they weren't getting any more material from the graphite mine (maybe it was mined out).  If google them (the picks) you'll find out that at one point, dunlop suddenly and supposedly stumbled upon a huge stock of them in storage that no one was aware of (the customer service people at dunlop gave this story).  I think this stock is merely dunlop making cheap knockoffs of the originals, in response to the overwhelming demand.

Poster

Quote from: cactuskeeb on April 26, 2010, 08:18:22 PM
.  I think this stock is merely dunlop making cheap knockoffs of the originals, in response to the overwhelming demand.

That would make sense. Isnt Bradshaw with Dunlop now? I think ever dunlop product ive ever owned has either been traded/sold/or gutted and moded into oblivion. Their shit just doesnt sound that great anymore. Its all those wonky chinese components, er Taiwanese.

Believe it or not, I am not a small Japanese women. Went to church where the blinkin light was... Parked right by an Olympic sized swimmin' pool. -Col. Bruce Hampton Ret.

raisingfreen

I think cactus is on to something. Now that I think of it I have some that feel just a bit different than others. I have never actually heard the chirp either. If this is a whole knockoff conspiracy I would think they (Dunlop) would have been only affecting a small percentage of players as a whole (the entire pick buying industry).

This stuff is getting out of hand, chirps, turtles and such. I sometimes miss the days when I used to fold up a business card and pick with the heavy paper stock.

Anybody want some picks with a 50/50 chance of getting a good chirp on?

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

iam willing to bet the counterfeiters are on this very forum.

col. mustard in the lobby, with the wrench.

raisingfreen

Just out of curiosity how would one go about making a counterfeit pick such as this one?
What equipment would be required and how much does it all cost? Where do you get the materials from?
How do you do the embossments and the cutting? How do you get bags printed with the right logos and barcodes?
And after all that, how exactly do you make a profit to the rather small percentage of players that actually use/purchase the counterfeit picks?

Just sayin, what a undertaking that must be.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

Quote from: raisingfreen on April 26, 2010, 10:27:42 PM
Just out of curiosity how would one go about making a counterfeit pick such as this one?
What equipment would be required and how much does it all cost? Where do you get the materials from?
How do you do the embossments and the cutting? How do you get bags printed with the right logos and barcodes?
And after all that, how exactly do you make a profit to the rather small percentage of players that actually use/purchase the counterfeit picks?

Dude there are manufacturers in china that could clone one from a couple of digital pictures. In fact, youll find most everybody just has there shit made at least partially in china. You could get a plastic languedoc if you want one. Buuut i bet youd have to order about 5000 of them. So ordering a load of knockoff picks would not be difficult in the least.

Find any company that does mediation for chinese manufacturers and inquire in an email. Guaranteed you could find multiple sources within a few short hours. There are manufacturers that specialize in molded plastics, and undoubtedly, much of there business comes from foreign investors looking to shake out a profit. Go buy a "Support Our Troops" band at a gas station, flip it over and 10/10 times itll say, " Made In China"

Hell I used to PLAY a languedoc knock off from Korea called a "Volencia Custom" and it was pretty great actually. Ebony fretboard, swapped out for prs black dragon 2 pickups, cts pots, it sounded great for 350 bucks. Heres a pic of it before i added a fugly wooden tailpiece :0P

sour d

Quote from: raisingfreen on April 26, 2010, 10:27:42 PM

Now I know how they fund the spraying of chemtrails. Counterfeit adamas picks. And they hired Jerry and Trey to market these to us. How could we be so stupid!
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

HunSanity

All I know is the picks I got are sweet ass...im very confident that are real.   ...while i agree tat there are warehouses in china that can make whatever you marrawana like a shamwow perhaps?, I just don't see the likelihood of someone counterfeiting picks like they are Rolex watches or IPods...i have been a "whats more likely" guy lately...

now if tyrone opens up his coat this weekend when i am up in nyc and it is layerd with adamas picks ill be into it..

in the grand scheme of things, a few guitar players that are big enough nerds to even know that these things exist is a rather small group compared to an iPod buyer... not to mention the sound I now get is so similar to certain tones I have heard form players that use them that it HAS to be..

only reason i am commenting btw is because i actually thought the ones i got WERE fake so i did much research and thinking..hence my thoughts..i just didnt realize they werent more like a rock and more like a plastic rock..

Seems to me that its pretty logical that something that is no longer made can still be floating around.  its even easy to get a piece of the berlin wall now a days...

i mean if these things are impossible to get them then how does Trey have them?  I know he is a guitar hero and a millionaire and all, but still..no one has to answer this im just thinking out load.. It's really not a big deal...

cactuskeeb

I wasn't telling you guys this so you could take it and snowball it into an Asian conspiracy.  I laughed my ass off, yes, and thus am very appreciative for the ensuing comments to my post above but the point is very simple and I'm afraid it is still not clear to anyone.

Hun, I'm not saying there's a magnanimous difference between the rough-surfaced kind and the smooth,  almost plasticy surface ones.  It takes a skilled ear just to hear the difference (there's also the issue of the smooth-surfaced ones getting away from you, literally, because of sweat or beer-bottle-condensation buildup on your fingers/hand).

Look, one kind is better than the other; the difference is slight but I think part of what this forum is about is having the best gear possible.  If anyone replies to this, giving me some altruistic lecture about how I'm getting too specific with my thoughts or too myopic with my gear choices, gabble-dee-gok, I promise I will never post another thing like this, where all I am doing is providing information that *for me* was extremely hard to come by and took me quite a while to figure out.

HunSanity

to be honest i didnt even know who brough up the "asian" thing.. i just hopped on here and read a few of the last posts.. wasnt referencing anyone anything in particular.. just the fact that the picks i ended up with off of ebay are adamas and seem pretty damn real to me, but i am far from an expert on picks i am just trying to practice and get better......its all good.  its all a matter of opinon and convo.  but yeah i didnt even see that you wrote that so no offense..i just found the topic as a whole interesting as i felt that they were fakes origionally before i knew what to expect when i recieved them.. i just wanted to say Shamwow to be honest.  ha

HunSanity

okay so now that i read your post i see what you were saying.. got you. yeah the ones i got in the mail are not really polished looking but more so brushed.. and say adamas etc on them.. really stiff and imposs to bend, but when you drop it it sounds like plastic.  so whichever ones those are and the ones i got and actually think they sound pretty sweet.  hence my whole chirp comment.  they really add a nice ring which is what i was talkin bout..

HunSanity

wow someone smited me for saying i liked the picks i got and didnt think they were fake.  hahah this shite is too much out here boy. 

aoguitars

Holy crap. This didn't get too out of hand, did it? We're talking about a fucking pick.

Santana uses a quarter.

Knopfler uses his fingers (I've heard there are Taiwanese knockoffs of these).

Discuss.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com