You Enjoy Myself

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, June 11, 2010, 03:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouEnjoyMyReba

So I'm finally learning it.  I can play the whole song using the first transcription under emil's tabs.  Only problem is I'm playing it at about 1/2 regular speed using the Amazing Slow Downer. 

After looking in the discussion section on emil's tab for YEM i saw that it was officially transcribed in an issue of Guitar World Magazine.  After looking online extensively I couldn't find a link to the Guitar World transcription that works.  Does anybody have a link to it?

If not, can anyone play this that would be willing to give me some suggestions?
LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

sour d

If you know what month/year it was in guitar world, you can search for that issue on ebay.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

YouEnjoyMyReba

LP Gibson Studio> Whammy II (currently not in rig)> Vox wah 847 (garmopat mod)>Ts9 (silver) X2> BiComp> Boomerang+> FDR '65 reissue

YouEnjoyMyReba

Just found this: http://www.mediafire.com/?yydteifhxzj

Its a link to a scanned image of the transcription from guitar world. Hopefully it will help any future learners of YEM

YouEnjoyMyReba

Cant seem to get it up to regular speed. Can anybody on here give me any tips. 

Do you use alternate picking or sweeps?

patrickstefanski

i've been learning it as well

i jsut play it everyday

i started at about 40% speed, and purposely stayed there for awhile. really really learned it.

now i can play it at about 100% speed sloppily, but about 85% speed pretty well.
i think in a couple months i'll have it down smooth.

i'm not an amazing guitar player though, anyone with some skills can probably do it much quicker.
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

YouEnjoyMyReba

That sounds about like how im learning it.

I started with just the first arpeggio, and didnt move on until I could play it at 100% speed.  When i could do that i began working on the first half of the second movement but still cant play it at 100% speed so I moved on to the second half. Now Im at the just playing it everyday stage until i can play it all the way through without fucking up.  Maybe ill get a camera and track my progress as a reference to anybody that tries learning it in the future.

BTW, im using the first transcription on emils tabs and it seems to be 100% correct

patrickstefanski

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on June 15, 2010, 02:27:39 PM
That sounds about like how im learning it.

I started with just the first arpeggio, and didnt move on until I could play it at 100% speed.  When i could do that i began working on the first half of the second movement but still cant play it at 100% speed so I moved on to the second half. Now Im at the just playing it everyday stage until i can play it all the way through without fucking up.  Maybe ill get a camera and track my progress as a reference to anybody that tries learning it in the future.

BTW, im using the first transcription on emils tabs and it seems to be 100% correct

i learned the whole song straight through, then worked on building it up as a whole. (still am).
yeah, the transcription on emils tabs is right, but i found one section that is pretty stupidly configured, iin my opinion,  so i just changed the voicing a little (not changed the notes in anyway, just the strings they are played on and the finger positions).

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

YouEnjoyMyReba

Walker done done

Quote from: YouEnjoyMyReba on June 15, 2010, 07:20:22 PM
which section?

I'd also like to know...Patrick, can you post the "new" tab of the section you speak of?
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

patrickstefanski

Yeah sure...

after the intro, the SECOND G min section is tabbed like this on emils:

Gm            C               F              Bb
E------------6-10-8--------------|--------------8-------------------|
B----------8--------8-------------|-----------10---11----------------|
G--------7------------9-----------|--------10---------10-------------|
D------8----------------10-------|---7-10---------------12----------|
A---10---------------------10-7-|-8-----------------------13-8-----|
E----------------------------------|-------------------------------10-|

Eb             Am7b5               D                  
E---------------------------8---------|
B-------------8-11-10---------10--|
G-----------8---------8----------8/-|
D---------8-------------10----------|
A------10----------------------------|
E---11-------------------------------|

I Changed it to this:

E------------6-10-8--------------|--------------8--6------------------------|
B----------8--------8-------------|-----------10-------6--------------------|
G--------7------------9-----------|--------10-------------7-----------------|
D------8----------------10-------|---7-10--------------- -- --8------------|
A---10---------------------10-7-|-8------------------------------8--5-----|
E----------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|

E------------------5-----------8---------|
B----------------8----10---------10------|
G--------------8---------8----------8/---|
D------5---8-------------10-------------|
A---6-------------------------------------|
E----------------------------------------|

What helps me play it fast (or at least mildly fast) is the fluid up and down motion from E to e and e to E, this just goes more along with that.  It's definitely helpful for me.

NOTE:  I just did this at work without a guitar in my hand.  So, while I think it's right, I might be off on a note or two.  Keep in mind all the notes are exactly the same, so if something is off, just sub the appropriate fret.
Current Rig:

IamWILSON

Quote from: patrickstefanski on June 17, 2010, 10:47:58 AM
Yeah sure...

after the intro, the SECOND G min section is tabbed like this on emils:

E------------6-10-8--------------|--------------8-------------------|
B----------8--------8-------------|-----------10---11----------------|
G--------7------------9-----------|--------10---------10-------------|
D------8----------------10-------|---7-10---------------12----------|
A---10---------------------10-7-|-8-----------------------13-8-----|
E----------------------------------|-------------------------------10-|

E---------------------------8---------|
B-------------8-11-10---------10--|
G-----------8---------8----------8/-|
D---------8-------------10----------|
A------10----------------------------|
E---11-------------------------------|

I Changed it to this:

E------------6-10-8--------------|--------------8--6------------------------|
B----------8--------8-------------|-----------10-------6--------------------|
G--------7------------9-----------|--------10-------------7-----------------|
D------8----------------10-------|---7-10--------------- -- --8------------|
A---10---------------------10-7-|-8------------------------------8--5-----|
E----------------------------------|-------------------------------------------|

E------------------5-----------8---------|
B----------------8----10---------10------|
G--------------8---------8----------8/---|
D------5---8-------------10-------------|
A---6-------------------------------------|
E----------------------------------------|

What helps me play it fast (or at least mildly fast) is the fluid up and down motion from E to e and e to E, this just goes more along with that.  It's definitely helpful for me.

NOTE:  I just did this at work without a guitar in my hand.  So, while I think it's right, I might be off on a note or two.  Keep in mind all the notes are exactly the same, so if something is off, just sub the appropriate fret.

I learned this tune a little while back and found that there were a couple missing notes just after ascending and descending on Eb arpeggio that starts up the neck starting on the 18th fret.  Regardless, its very close. 

Patrick-  what you do over Bb is what I do as well, however, instead of going to D on the A string when approaching Eb, I use my pinky on the low E at the 10th fret and slide right up to Eb and play the arpeggio as written from the tab.

If your still having trouble speeding it up, I think you need to slow it down and make sure you can get through it over and over without any mistakes.  It took me a couple months to get the speed all the way up to par with live recordings.  And I haven't really played it in a while, as our band is not ready to work on the tune, so I know I'm gonna have to go through the process of shedding it again, but the cool thing is I can remember it pretty well, so getting it up to speed should only take a couple weeks this time around.  Also, when working on the speed issues, sometimes its better to just shed little sections over and over at a time.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Walker done done

Dammit this song is a pain in the ass to learn.  That is all.  >:(
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Walker done done

Pat I think the A that you have right below the Am7b5 should actually be an A#, correct?

Loop 3 Boomerang+