You Enjoy Myself

Started by YouEnjoyMyReba, June 11, 2010, 03:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happyorange27

Quote from: Walker done done on December 01, 2011, 06:07:01 PM
Dammit this song is a pain in the ass to learn.  That is all.  >:(

Makes me appreciate how Phish (Trey) writes, learns, performs and repeats these songs with precision.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

manicstarseed

Agreed. I'm not really past learning 2 or 3 arpeggios.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Guitars: 1976 Gibson Les Paul (w/ SD Pearly Gates).
Schecter C1-E/A Semi-hollow with '76 Gibson Stock Pickups + MIDI
Fender Stratocaster + MIDI
Synthesizer->GR-55
Sideboard-> Boss SD-1, and OC-3 , MXR 10-band EQ

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

dabomb

A lot of the arpeggios repeat themselves. If you get past the first 3-4 shapes, you have the foundation for most of the rest. With that said - I have to sweep pick the arpeggios. I am not even close to being able to alternate pick them properly. I understand the merit of the alternate pick - it's just too hard!

manicstarseed

If it were shape to shape that's one thing but its shape transition shape and for me I need ti sink my teeth into the transitions because its where I go dumb on a dime.
Guitar>GCB-95 Wah>Qtron+>Vibe Machine>TS9> Booty Queue Retro Comp>Phase 90-script >Express 25 - FX loop> Nova Repeater>Nova Reverb>Boss- RC-20XL>Amp Return.

Synthesizer->GR-55

Amps: Mesa Nomad 55, Express 25 (both 1x12 combos) and Fender Frontman25R w/ 10" Eminence Rajin Cajun speaker

dabomb

If you want to learn YEM, my best advice is to first play through the section using just the chords. Make sure you are using the chord shape that the arpeggios are being built from. Once you memorize the chord progression, using the proper chord shapes, it won't take too long to get the arpeggios under your fingers since your fingers are already in the right spot. It is just a matter of which direction to sweep.

manicstarseed

Quote from: dabomb on December 10, 2011, 07:48:28 PM
If you want to learn YEM, my best advice is to first play through the section using just the chords. Make sure you are using the chord shape that the arpeggios are being built from. Once you memorize the chord progression, using the proper chord shapes, it won't take too long to get the arpeggios under your fingers since your fingers are already in the right spot. It is just a matter of which direction to sweep.

Thank you! That's some sound advice. I  will attempt to skin the cat that way and see how it sounds.

Synthesizer->GR-55

the_great_lemon

dabomb mentioned above that there are some benefits to using alternate picking and not sweep picking...What would be the benefits of using alternate picking vs. sweep picking? Would it improve tone? Consistency between notes?
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Traditional, 1992 Gibson SG Standard
Effects: Boss OC-2 Octave -> Garmopatmods Vox V847 -> Mojo Vibe -> Boss Blues Driver -> Mad Professor Sweet Honey OD -> Ross Compressor -> Boss GE-7 -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
Amps: Fender Blues Jr. NOS, Epiphone Valve Jr.

Happyorange27

I think sweep picking just becomes necessary after the tempo reaches a certain point. You have to have the technique down so you sweep each note in the correct subdivision. Alternate picking can be better for accurate subdivision but you can't do it too fast.

It's like when you sing high notes. When do you go falseto? You loose power but gain pitches.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

dabomb

The major benefit of alternate picking is rhythmic - so yes, consistent length between notes and duration of each note. to my ears, a sweep-pick also lacks the attack of a note off a pick change-of-direction. Then there is muting. You really have to pay attention to good muting on a sweep or the notes just sound like a chords strummed slowly.