My amp saga continues [updated]...

Started by cactuskeeb, June 22, 2010, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactuskeeb

Update: Started fixing the bad-resistor issue.  I decided swap all the resistors out for their oven-tested equivalent(s).  Haven't gotten very far, yet, in replacing all of them.

One day, when I complete this, I'm going to put a curse on it and thrust it halfway into a giant piece of solid granite - and wait for the chosen one, who will be able to draw it from the rock, like Arthur drawing Excalibur from the stone.   :P

So, I have to take about half of the preamp resistors out, because I baked a few of them for eight cycles and, at the end, they drifted a lot.  I should have put the other batch (which didn't drift) in there--the ones I found at the bottom of a giant box of some recently dead guy's crap that went up for auction in an estate sale--instead of these, which I bought from a wholesaler.  I really, really, don't want to do this -- it's going to be really annoying.  Anyway, here's some pictures I'm posting for no reason, whatsoever. (Click the thumbnail for the full-size image).

Poster

Well obviously, I should wield the one amp to rule them all.

And Iam thinking about mailing you my heritage. Its basically a train-wreck circuit, but Ive found sending amps to mad scientists is the way to go.

Anyway, you could mod in a skull of monkey, or maybe a monkey paw into the head enclosure?

thats pretty much the next step for me, magical talismans to subtly brighten the upper mid range.

I tried a jar of tiger penis, but the resulting low end eq scoop, just wasnt for me.

cactuskeeb

A soggy pile of half-eaten hot wings soldered to the front end of the chassis is the way to go, man.  Send me your amp and I'll do the mod.

cactuskeeb

It makes me crack up a little every time I think of what you said about me finally turning it on, and it just not working at all.  I have this image of (me) flipping the switch and all I get is an obnoxiously loud, buuuuuurrrRRRRRHHHHH...

There's a pretty high chance it will not work.  We're talking, 50%, at least.

But if it does...IF...it does.. wow, look out...it's going to be one hell of a nasty bitch piece of equipment.

Poster

it needs antlers with leds. and a cathode drive control with an on off mini bypass switch to make the power tubes less efficient.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on June 22, 2010, 07:42:09 PM
it needs antlers with leds. and a cathode drive control with an on off mini bypass switch to make the power tubes less efficient.

I thought your amp already had a cathode bias switch...Are we talking about another amp you want the same thing done to (installing a switch to take you from fixed- to cathode-biased)?

Poster

iam thinking the deluxe might sound cool with a cathode bias control

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on June 23, 2010, 03:43:11 PM
iam thinking the deluxe might sound cool with a cathode bias control

I can do that.